5 days FOR/ARCHIE
- Young engineers, tool pushers, supervisors, other professionals involved or interested in well architecture.
- This course provides a thorough and practical understanding of the methodology for designing a casing program.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- calculate different casing strings using the Drilling Data Handbook,
- select the right position of casing shoes,
- calculate the stress applied to the casing pipes,
- select the casings as per the constraints encountered while drilling,
- choose the right wellhead with regard to the casings used.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Application to a real case (project) for the participants in the “Drilling and Completion Engineering” training course (E-412C).
DRILLING & CASING PROGRAM 0.5 day
- Role of casings.
- Parameters to be considered to determine well architecture:
- Well type.
- Pore and frac pressures.
- Completion, lithology.
- Different types of casings:
WELLHEAD 0.25 day
- Different elements.
- Wellhead assembly sequences.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CASINGS 0.25 day
- Geometric, physical and mechanical properties of the pipes, the connections.
- Use of Drilling Data Handbook.
SHOE POSITIONING 0.25 day
- Hypotheses to be considered, casing point - Kick tolerance.
- Casing point - Kick tolerance.
- Examples and exercises.
CASING STRING CALCULATION 0.25 day
- Principles and assumptions to remember for the different strings.
- Stress cases study:
- Triaxial study.
- Safety factors.
- Casing selection: examples and exercises.
CALCULATION EXAMPLES 3 days
- Case studies and writing of a spreadsheet in order to determine the casing point, the kick margin, the pressure max, …
TEST 0.5 day