5 days REE/UNCONV
- Geoscientists, reservoir engineers, petroleum engineers, development project engineers and managers interested in shale gas resources.
- This course provides an overview of unconventional hydrocarbons resources, highlighting main technical, economic and environmental issues of shale gas exploration and production.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- discuss the fundamentals of gas shale formation evaluation,
- discuss about assessment and improvement of productivity of unconventional developments,
- discuss about economic and environmental issues of unconventional developments.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Interactive courses and exercises.
Kindly refer also to complementary courses which might be of interest: “Hydrocarbons in Unconventional Settings” (E-152), “Unconventional Reservoirs Completion and Stimulation” (E-468).
World energy demand & shale gas 0.5 day
- Introduction, definitions, world data resources.
Hydrocarbons in unconventional settings 1 day
- Exploration aspects: geology and geochemistry.
Shale gas stimulation 1 day
- Hydraulic fracturing, micro-seismicity interpretation, stress and mapping of fractures.
- Status on fracturing technologies.
- Completion design, well orientation, spacing, re-fracturing, fracture load recovery, tracers.
Shale gas petrophysics 0.5 day
- Status of petrophysical evaluation of shale gas accumulations.
Shale gas resources 0.5 day
- Evaluation of resources (in place and technically recoverable) - Methodology.
Productivity & field development 0.5 day
- Well productivity assessment.
- Field development case study:
- Establish well pattern.
- Estimate the plateau rate and duration.
- Build field development spread-sheet.
Economics 0.5 day
- Economics of development of shale gas - Production costs.
Environmental impact 0.5 day
- Discussions around controversial issues:
- Impact on water resources by handling large volumes of wate. Water treatment.
- Impact on aquifers by drilling and fracturing.
- Environmental impact of shale gas drilling projects.
- Environmental impact of chemicals.