5 days HSE/SOCIALGB
- Managers, advisors, engineers, and operations staff involved in oversight or management of operational, environmental and social issues throughout the lifetime of an upstream project
- To shed light on societal issues related to oil and gas activities based on the practice and case studies (BTC pipeline, Nigeria, Chad-Cameroon pipeline, Yemen, Ecuador, etc. ) and on future trends (new territories, challenges and risks)
- To provide knowledge about societal standards (Equator principles, IFC performance standards, Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative (EITI), Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights, ISO 26000, UN human rights, etc.)
- To give a professional insight into the tools used by the industry in the societal field, their scope and limitations: social impact assessment, stakeholder mapping, stakeholder engagement, Social impact management plans (RAP, etc.)
- Identify and understand what constitutes a social risk (non-technical risks), an impact assessment and management
- Understand public policy and due diligence contexts for SIA including legal and international requirements
- Understand key concepts related to SIA and social impact management plans (SIMPs)
- Understand social management methodologies and their appropriate uses (including methodological traps/pitfalls)
- Design and implementation of a stakeholder engagement strategy and plan
- Understand the main components of a Social Impact Management Plan (RAP, local content, etc.), including design and implementation
- Understand Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for monitoring the implementation of the SIMPs
Ways and means
- The training will have an interactive format providing room for practice and discussion. It will involve multimedia presentations, case studies and teamwork sessions
Social issues related to O&G activities: risks, stakes and strategies 1 day
- Overlooking non technical risks
- How to spot non technical risks?
- How to identify and understand the underlying mechanisms?
- O&G industry reaction to underlying mechanisms
- Why and how should they be managed as a risk and an opportunity?
- Key risks areas for O&G industry: transparency and corruption, human rights, operations in areas of conflict, etc.
Stakeholder engagement 1 day
- Social license to operate (SLO)
- Leading corporations now realize that they need to meet more than just the regulatory requirements
- How to build this SLO?
- What is the free prior and informed consent principle?
- How to do a stakeholder analysis and mapping?
- How to design and implement a stakeholder engagement plan?
- How to design and implement a grievance mechanism?
Participative social impact assessment as a risk management tool 1 day
- Conceptual framework and techniques used for Social Impact Assessment
- Definition of a social impact
- Links between environmental and social impacts
- Predict, analyze and assess the likely social impacts pathways and evaluate their significance
- Develop a mitigation strategy for negative impacts and an enhancement strategy for the project-related opportunities
- How to monitor them?
- International standards
- Assess a SIA Quality
- How to achieve the full potential of a SIA?
Social impact management plans and monitoring: tools & processes 0.5 day
- Social impact management plans into international standards
- The main components of a SIMP
- How can a SIMP be operational?
- What are the organizational and institutional arrangement that need to be developed?
- The role for the project’s stakeholders in a SIMP
- Implementation and results monitoring and reporting
Social impact management plans and monitoring: focus on special topics and issues 1 day
- Depending on the audience’s needs and expectations, a focus can be put on specific social issues and how to manage them through specific Social impact management plans: Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), Community Development Plan and Social investments, local content, etc.
Case study: social screening of an oil and gas project 0.5 day
- Through a work in group, the participants will do a stakeholder mapping, an impact assessment with the use of a mind mapping and an identification of potential impacts and mitigation strategies