5 days HSE/SOCIALGB
- Managers, advisors, engineers, and operations staff involved in oversight or management of operational, environmental and social issues throughout the lifetime of an upstream project.
- This course aims to identify and understand social issues related to Oil & Gas activities.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- identify and understand what constitutes a social risk (non-technical risks), an impact assessment and management,
- understand key concepts related to SIA and Social Impact Management Plans (SIMPs),
- understand social management methodologies and their appropriate uses,
- design and implement of a stakeholder engagement strategy and plan,
- understand the main components of a Social Impact Management Plan (RAP, local content, etc.), including design and implementation.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- The training will have an interactive format providing room for practice and discussion. It will involve multimedia presentations, case studies, quizzes and teamwork sessions.
Social issues related to O&G activities: risks, stakes & strategies 1 day
- Risk of overlooking non technical risks.
- How to spot non technical risks?
- How to identify and understand the underlying mechanisms?
- How to manage social risks?
- O&G industry reaction to underlying mechanisms.
- Why and how should they be managed as a risk and an opportunity?
- Key risks areas for O&G industry and developed standards: transparency and corruption, business and human rights, operations in areas of conflict, etc.
Stakeholder engagement 1 day
- Social License to Operate (SLO).
- How to build this SLO?
- What is the Free Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) principle?
- Stakeholders-business interactions analysis.
- How to do a stakeholder analysis and mapping?
- How to design and implement a stakeholder engagement plan?
- How to design, implement and monitor a grievance mechanism?
- What are the do’s and don’ts in stakeholder engagement?
Participative social impact assessment as a risk management tool 1 day
- Conceptual framework and techniques used for Social Impact Assessment.
- International standards.
- Definition of a social impact.
- Links between environmental and social impacts.
- Predict, analyze and assess the likely social impacts pathways and evaluate their significance.
- Develop a mitigation strategy for negative impacts and an enhancement strategy for the project-related opportunities.
- How to monitor social impacts?
- How to assess a SIA Quality?
- How to achieve the full potential of a SIA?
Social impact management plans & monitoring: tools & processes 0.5 day
- Social Impact Management Plans (SIMP).
- The main components of a SIMP.
- How can a SIMP be operational?
- What are the organizational and institutional arrangements that need to be developed?
- The role for the project’s stakeholders in a SIMP?
- Implementation and results monitoring and reporting.
Social impact management plans & monitoring: focus on special topics & issues 1 day
- Depending on the audience’s needs and expectations, a focus can be put on specific social issues and how to manage them through specific Social impact management plans: Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), Community Development Plan and Social investments, local content, etc.
Case study: social screening of an Oil & Gas project 0.5 day
- Through a work in group, the participants will do a stakeholder mapping, a high level impact assessment with the use of a mind mapping and an identification of potential impacts and mitigation strategies.