15 days MTM/OMIRM
- Engineers, supervisors and technical staff involved in rotating machinery maintenance and technical inspection.
- This course provides a rotating machinery skill, including lubrication and troubleshooting, through vibration analysis and other preventive techniques.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- explain how the machines and their elements are running,
- list the mechanical consequences of specific operating conditions,
- describe the failure modes of each component,
- participate in the machinery reliability improvement process.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Pumps, compressors and turbines manufacturing site visits.
- Workshop and practical exercises.
- Case studies based on industrial & actual feedback.
TECHNOLOGY & OPERATION OF MAIN ROTATING MACHINES (pumps, compressors, turbines, electrical motors) 5 days
- Main parts of the machines: casing, rotor, bearing, coupling.
- Ancillaries: flushing, heating and cooling, lubrication systems.
- Maintenance: assembly and dismantling procedures, inspection, clearance, adjustment, roughness.
- Operation and performance:
- Process side
- Operational parameters; head, flow, rpm, efficiency.
- Characteristic curves. Control. Start-up, routine monitoring.
- Consequence of internal wear.
- Mechanical part:
- Stresses in machines. Influence on lifespan, on damage.
- Failure prevention; monitoring, repair quality.
- Internal leakages. Unbalancing. Wear and failures.
- Practical exercises (time included in above items):
- Recording and plotting pressure of a centrifugal pump.
- Plant visits: centrifugal pumps manufacturer; centrifugal compressors and steam turbines manufacturer.
TECHNOLOGY & MAINTENANCE 5 days
- Purpose, different types of oil and grease. Practical exercises.
- Antifriction bearings: types, lifespan, mounting, applications, related problems.
- Plain and pad bearings, thrust bearings: operation, maintenance, incidents.
- Coupling and alignment:
- Different types of couplings & related problems.
- Different methods of alignment, tolerances, practical part.
- Sealing devices for pumps and compressors:
- Mechanical pump seals, types, operation, related problems.
- Installation, geometrical checks.
- Other seals for positive displacement pumps and reciprocating compressors.
- Rotors and shafts:
- Balancing: eccentricity, tolerances. Assembling on shaft: effect on balancing.
- Geometrical shaft controls.
- Practical exercises:
- Bearing mounting and overhaul. Geometrical shaft control. Shaft alignment.
- Mechanical seal mounting.
- Plant visit: machine component manufacturer.
FORECASTING BREAKDOWNS 5 days
- Study of ruptures, wear and other failures:
- Standard damage to machines: onset of problems and causes of failures, influences of metallurgy and surface treatments.
- Fatigue, wear and tear. Rupture face analysis.
- Case studies: rupture and wear examinations of typical parts, analysis of some centrifugal pump breakdowns.
- Use of vibration analysis:
- Different types of measurements and sensors.
- Monitoring of turbomachines rotor behavior.
- Spectrum analysis applied to pumps, fans.
- Management of machinery reliability:
- Reliability centered maintenance.
- Detection of Bad Actors.
- Improving reliability through failure analysis and diagnosis.
- Monitoring the maintenance activity performance.
- Practical exercises:
- Measurement and analysis of vibrations.
- Machinery component failures, analysis on examples.