5 days PROC/ADV3GB
- Engineers involved in operating or designing gas field processing and conditioning facilities.
- This course provides a comprehensive understanding of gas treatment processes, operation and troubleshooting.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- assess various problems induced by unwanted elements in natural gas streams,
- master gas treatment and liquefaction processes, operations and related operating conditions,
- perform hand calculations for summary design of main gas processing equipment,
- ascertain main operating problems encountered in gas processing and conditioning and related solutions,
- simulate natural gas treatment processes using the PRO/IITM software.
- It is highly recommended to attend Module 1 first (cf. E-531).
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry-specialist lecturers.
- Numerous applications and illustrations.
- Extensive practice of PRO/IITM process simulation software.
Need for field processing of gas - Quality requirements 0.25 day
- Constituents raising problems for storage, transport or end use of natural gas.
- Different specifications and quality requirements for natural gas.
- Necessary treatments to conform these specifications.
- Examples of compositions of commercialized natural gases.
Gas dehydration (drying) & hydrate formation inhibition 1.25 days
- System behavior. Moisture content of a saturated gas:
- Applications: moisture content of different gases of various compositions.
- Hydrate formation inhibition by injection of inhibitors: MeOH, MEG, DEG, LDHI, …
- Gas dehydration processes: TEG units, molecular sieves, …
- Application: summary design of TEG unit.
- PRO/IITM simulation: simulation of TEG unit.
Gas sweetening: removal of acid components (H2S and/or CO2) 0.75 day
- Overview of the techniques dedicated to gas sweetening:
- Chemical solvent processes. Amine units (MEA, DEA, DGA, MDEA, …).
- Physical solvent processes.
- Hybrid (physico-chemical) solvent processes.
- Overview of other techniques.
- Conversion of H2S: sulfur production (CLAUS process) and tail gas processing.
- Application: summary design of an amine unit.
Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) extraction (removal of heavy components) 0.75 day
- External refrigeration loop.
- Joule-Thomson expansion.
- Application: calculation of cryogenic loop used for extraction.
- PRO/IITM simulation: simulation of NGL extraction unit - Process selection.
Case study: simulation of a whole natural gas field processing plant 1 day
- Study of a natural gas dehydration, NGL extraction and compression unit.
- Optimization of the operating parameters.
- Analysis of hydrate formation risks.
Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) 1 day
- Liquefaction processes: operating principle, typical operating conditions, technology of specific equipment (plate fin heatexchangers, spiral-wound heat exchanges, refrigeration loop compressors, …), power consumption, …
- LNG storage and transport: storage tanks, LNG carriers, jetty, loading arms, …
- Safety considerations specific to natural gas liquefaction plants.
- Industrial examples of natural gas liquefaction units.