5 days HSE/EXPSAFOP
- Engineers and staff involved in operating Oil & Gas field production facilities.
- This course provides a thorough understanding of risks and safety measures related to products, equipment and different operations in Oil & Gas production facilities.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- deepen knowledge of hazards involved in routine operations, SIMOPS and shutdown/start-up operations,
- assess risks involved in different operations and adopt best industry practices,
- adopt the most appropriate safety measures in routine Oil & Gas processing operations and when faced with unforeseen events,
- explain key safety management rules leading to high HSE standards.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Several applications and illustrations.
- Several case studies and teamwork sessions.
OPERATIONS & HSE 0.25 day
- Hazards and risks incurred. Consequences.
- Risk management means: equipment, organizational and human aspects.
MAIN HAZARDS OF HYDROCARBON PROCESSING 0.75 day
- Flammability: flame ignition and propagation principles. Types of combustibles, oxidizers and most common ignition sources in process facilities.
- Toxicity: exposure limits. Specific hazards associated to H2S. Use of Safety Data Sheet (SDS).
- Fluid behavior and related hazards: vessel pressure, consequences of temperature variation (thermal expansion, vaporization, vacuum, water hammer).
- Fundamentals of pressure relief equipment: pressure relief valves, rupture disks, vacuum protection, flame arrestors.
RISK ASSESSMENT TOOLS - JOB SAFETY ANALYSIS 0.5 day
- Fundamentals of risk assessment process.
- Job Safety Analysis (JSA) procedure and steps.
- JSA exercise.
RISK IN NORMAL PROCESS OPERATIONS 1 day
- Risks associated to static equipment: storage tanks, thermal equipment, fired equipment, piping, valves.
- Risks associated to rotating machinery: pumps, compressors, turbines.
- Risks associated to electrical equipment: power generators.
- Risks associated to the use of utilities: inert gases, liquid water, steam, air, diesel, fuel gas.
- Risks associated to operations of depressurization and drainage toward: flare, slops, tanks, oily water.
SAFE ISOLATION OF PLANT & EQUIPMENT 1 day
- Management of isolations.
- Steps of process isolations.
- Valve types and issues.
- Mechanical isolation methods. Strategies for selection. Pros and cons.
- Electrical lock-out.
- Degassing-inerting: steam, nitrogen, water, vacuum, work permits, …
- Entry into vessels. Ventilation and atmosphere analysis: oxygen content explosivity, toxicity.
- Start-up: checks, accessibility and cleanliness, line up, deaeration, seal tests, oil in.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
HSE IN MAINTENANCE & CONSTRUCTION WORKS - PERMIT TO WORK SYSTEM 0.5 day
- Permit To Work (PTW) system. Objectives. Roles & responsibilities. Process.
- Risks associated to construction and maintenance works:
- Lifting and rigging operations.
- Working in confined space.
- Works at height: ladders, scaffolding, mobile elevated working platforms, …
- Use of tools: sand blasting, grinding, HP cleaning.
- Radioactive sources.
ORGANIZATIONAL FRAMEWORK - HUMAN FACTORS 0.5 day
- Introduction to HSE management system.
- SIMultaneous OPerations (SIMOPS) management.
- Management of change.
- Downgraded situations.
- Learning from incidents and accidents: near misses, reporting and cause tree analysis.
- Human factors in risk management, safe and unsafe habits, motivation, exemplarity, difficulties in improving safety results.
SUSTAINABILITY MANAGEMENT IN FIELD OPERATIONS 0.5 day
- Main concepts.
- Tools to manage sustainability.
- Potential environmental impacts in field operations.
- Sustainability reporting. Introduction to regulatory framework.