5 days MTE/PC-E
- Engineers and technical staff involved in centrifugal and positive displacement pump operation, maintenance or engineering.
- To provide better understanding of centrifugal and positive displacement pumps technology and operating principle.
- To describe the behavior and the operation of pumps.
- To analyze the technical solutions applied in their units.
- To establish a diagnosis of incidents and participate in troubleshooting meetings.
- To identify essential elements in pump selection.
Ways and means
- Actual examples from the refining, petrochemical and chemical industry.
- Active participation is encouraged through case studies.
Hydrodynamics applied to a pumping system 2 days
- Pump performance
- Flow in a pump, velocities triangle, internal flow and energy losses.
- Theoretical and practical head: characteristic curve.
- Other characteristics: efficiency, power, NPSH required.
- Changes in characteristics vs. rotation, viscosity, impeller shape, cavitation.
- Pipe system
- Liquid flows in pipes: friction losses.
- System curve, resistance of flow and throttling control.
- Operating point: normal and maximum capacities, change in fluid characteristics and incidence on operating conditions.
- Case study: study of a reflux line and its pump.
Centrifugal pump technology and selection 2 days
- Centrifugal pump
- Construction and technology: API and ISO specifications.
- Internal forces and mechanical criteria: balancing, wear ring clearances.
- Specific numbers, impeller and pump shape, suction conditions.
- Mechanical seal
- Selection according to API 682 standard, materials, type.
- Friction face heating.
- Safety and environment: typical arrangements (single, dual, dry seal).
- Specific solutions: canned motor pump, magnetic drive pump.
- Suction and discharge pipe design.
- NPSH available; base plate and grouting.
- Ancillary lines and equipment.
- Coupling and driven machines.
- Safety and environment.
Positive displacement pump technology and performance 0.5 day
- Different types of pumps: rotary and reciprocating pumps.
- Operating principle and utilization of the different types of pumps.
- Influence of clearance, internal leaks, nature of product on flow rate and pressure.
- Flow rate control.
- Installation guidelines: position of tanks, line diameters, metering drums, pulsation dampeners, pressure valves.
Pump operation 0.5 day
- Preparation: filling, draining; spare pumps: heating, ancillaries.
- Start-up / Shutdown: priming, remote/local controls, hammer shock, risks for process and pump.
- Survey: parameters (vibration levels, noises, bearing housing temperature, motor intensity, pressures); process incidences (discharge pressure, viscosity, specific gravity, capacity); hazards.
- Parallel and series operations: risks, dysfunction.
- Reliability: types and source of damage (wear, ruptures, cavitation, leakages); improvement methods.
- Safety conditions.
- Centrifugal pump operations and case study on simulator.