5 days MTE/PC-E
- Engineers and technical staff involved in centrifugal and positive displacement pump operation, maintenance or engineering.
- This course covers the centrifugal and positive displacement pumps technology & their operating conditions.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- describe the behavior and the operation of pumps,
- participate actively in troubleshooting analyses and help to diagnose failures,
- identify main parameters in pump selection.
- There are no prerequisites for this training.
Ways and means
- Actual examples from the refining, petrochemical and chemical industry.
- Active participation is encouraged through case studies.
HYDRODYNAMICS APPLIED TO A PUMPING SYSTEM 2 days
- Pump performance:
- Flow in a pump, velocities triangle, internal flow and energy losses.
- Theoretical and practical head: characteristic curve.
- Other characteristics: efficiency, power, NPSH required.
- Changes in characteristics vs. rotation, viscosity, impeller shape, cavitation.
- Pipe system:
- Liquid flows in pipes: friction losses.
- System curve, resistance of flow and throttling control.
- Operating point: normal and maximum capacities, change in fluid characteristics and incidence on operating conditions.
- Technical application: study of a distillation column reflux line and the pump installed.
CENTRIFUGAL PUMP TECHNOLOGY & SELECTION 2 days
- Centrifugal pump:
- Construction and technology: API and ISO specifications.
- Internal forces and mechanical criteria: balancing, wear ring clearances.
- Impeller and pump shape, suction operating conditions.
- Mechanical seal:
- Selection according to API 682 standard & type.
- Friction face heating.
- Safety and environment: typical arrangements (single, dual, dry seal).
- Specific solutions: canned motor pump, magnetic drive pump.
- Suction and discharge pipe design.
- NPSH available; base plate and grouting.
- Ancillary lines and equipment.
- Coupling and driven machines.
- Safety and environment.
POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT PUMP TECHNOLOGY & PERFORMANCE 0.5 day
- Technology: different types of pumps (rotary and reciprocating pumps). Operation & performance of the different types of pumps.
- Influence of clearance, internal leaks, nature of product on flow rate and pressure. Flow rate control.
- Installation guidelines: position of tanks, line diameters, metering drums, pulsation dampeners, pressure valves.
PUMP OPERATION 0.5 day
- Preparation: filling & draining. Start-up/Shutdown: priming, hammer shock, risks to the process and the pump.
- Monitoring parameters (vibration levels, noises, bearing housing temperature, motor intensity, pressures).
- Parallel and serial operation. Safety conditions.
- Reliability: types and source of failures (wear, ruptures, cavitation, leakages); improvement methods.