4 days EMT/BOILER
- Operators, panel operators, supervisors and plant managers involved in steam production facilities operation and optimization.
- Maintenance, instrumentation technicians and supervisors working on boilers.
- This course provides in-depth knowledge of boilers operating conditions and constraints for a safe and reliable operation.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- operate the boilers safely, while following the rules of optimized combustion, feed-water quality, water and steam control,
- describe combustion rules and calculate the air/fuel ratio for optimum combustion,
- identify bad-quality combustion from flue gas analysis & flame study and implement corrective actions,
- list and apply the main steps of a boiler start-up & shutdown procedure.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Use of case studies or exercises based on actual cases from the industry.
- Special emphasis on safety issues and abnormal situations that can lead to accidents.
BOILER DESCRIPTION & OPERATING CONDITIONS 0.5 day
- Different types of boilers and their characteristics. Operating conditions. Fuel consumption. Distribution of the heat supply as a function of the steam pressure. Construction of the vaporization and superheating tube bundles, the economizer and the drum.
COMBUSTION - BURNERS 1.5 days
- Combustion conditions: fuel characteristics.
- Conventional and low Nox burner technology and operation.
- Combustion quality: analysis of oxygen and unburned material in the flue gases.
- Safe Combustion: flame detection, control and safety devices on the fuel circuits.
- Air and flue gas circulation. Flue gas pressure profile in the boiler, draft control.
- Application: flue gas composition estimate, air and flue gas pressure profile drawing.
STEAM PRODUCTION 1 day
- Water preparation: drawbacks arising from the impurities in the water, water quality measurement, characteristics of feed water and water in the boiler, thermal degassing, water chemical conditioning.
- Control loop systems: Steam pressure, feed water flow rate, superheated steam temperature: disruptive factors & control principles.
BOILER OPERATION 1 day
- Steam generation inside tube coil and steam superheaters.
- Heat flux, parameters influencing heat transfer, impact of fuel type, fouling impact.
- On-stream boiler operations: routine monitoring, operating condition changes, analysis of disturbances, soot blowers, drains, etc.
- Start-up and shutdown: preparation, ignition procedures, pressure build-up, connection to network, normal or emergency shutdown.
- Application: study of start-up and shutdown procedure. Accident case studies.