4 days EMT/BOILER
- Operators, panel operators, supervisors and plant managers involved in steam production facilities operation and optimization.
- Maintenance and instrumentation technicians and supervisors working in boiler operation.
- To provide in-depth knowledge of boilers operating basis and constraints.
- To describe industrial combustion phenomena and calculate the air/fuel ratio for optimum combustion.
- To identify bad-quality combustion from flue gas analysis and flame study, and implement corrective steps.
- To list and apply the main steps of a boiler start-up procedure.
- To explain the main drawbacks of feedwater impurities and their impact on water treatment.
- To ensure safety while operating on-stream boilers by applying concepts of industrial combustion, feed-water quality and water and steam control.
Ways and means
- Use of case studies or exercises based on actual cases from the industry.
- With special emphasis on safety issues and abnormal situations that can lead to incidents.
Boiler description and operating conditions 0.5 day
- Different types of boilers and their functions. Operating conditions. Fuel consumption.
- Distribution of the heat supply as a function of the steam pressure.
- Construction of the vaporization and superheating tube bundles, the economizer and the drum.
Combustion - Burners 1.5 days
- Combustion conditions: fuel characteristics.
- Conventional and low Nox burner technology and operation.
- Combustion quality: analysis of oxygen and unburned material in the flue gases.
- Combustion safety: flame detection, control and safety devices on the fuel circuits.
- Air and flue gas circulation: variation in combustion gas pressure in the boiler, draft regulation.
- Application: fuel combustion properties estimate, air and flue gas pressure profile drawing.
Steam production 1 day
- Water preparation: drawbacks arising from the impurities in the water, water quality measurement, characteristics of feed water and water in the boiler, demineralization by ion exchange resins, thermal degassing, chemical conditioning of water.
- Steam pressure: control by fuel flowrate.
- Feed water flow rate control: targets, consideration of phenomena disrupting the drum level, control loop system.
- Superheated steam temperature: disruptive factors, control principles.
Boiler operation 1 day
- Steam generation inside tube coil and steam superheaters.
- Heat flux, parameters governing heat transfer, impact of type of fuel, fouling effect.
- On-stream boiler operations: routine monitoring, modifying operating conditions, analysis of disturbances, soot blowers, drains, etc.
- Start-up and shutdown: preparation, ignition procedures, pressure build-up, connection to network, normal shutdown, emergency shutdown.
- Application: study of start-up and shutdown procedure. Incident case studies.