5 days PRO/TRAITE
- Drilling or completion engineers, supervisors, lab or production professionals, non-specialists in wellbore treatment.
- This course provides knowledge and skills needed to examine well damage issues and take appropriate actions.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- identify the nature and the origins of well damage,
- choose the adequate stimulation method,
- learn how to deal with sand production and water coning.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Animations - Exercises.
- Visit of a rock mechanics and reservoir-wellbore interface laboratory.
- Application to a real case (project) for the participants in the “Drilling and Completion Engineering” training course (E-412C).
Kindly refer to the following complementary courses which might be of interest: “Matrix Acidizing” (E-456) and “Basic Hydraulic Fracturing”(E-457).
INTRODUCTION TO WELLBORE TREATMENTS 1 day
- Fundamental reminders on productivity index (PI), the skin effect and flow efficiency, the different components of the skin.
- Productivity issues: cause of low productivity, nature and origins of well damage, location of problems and possible solutions.
- Damage due to fluids: mechanisms, prevention.
MATRIX TREATMENT: ACIDIZING, … 1 day
- Aims; how it works.
- Carbonate rocks and sandstones; inner characteristics, reactivity to injected fluids.
- Choosing the acids and the additives.
- Choosing the wells to be treated.
- Design: preparation, checks and guidelines during the operation, after the acidizing (flow back, …), possible cause of failure, coiled tubing, …
HYDRAULIC FRACTURING 1 day
- Aims and principles; candidate wells.
- Frac fluids and fracture propping.
- Calculation models and frac impact on PI.
- Design; program, frac evaluation.
- Other cases: pre-frac, minifrac, acid frac.
SAND CONTROL 1 day
- Basics: consequences of sand, prediction of sand, sand analysis.
- Sand control techniques; case of mechanical processes (determining the gravel and the screens, …).
- Design: cased hole gravel packing, openhole gravel packing, preparing the gravel pack, various methods, guidelines.
WATER OR GAS SHUT-OFF & DEPOSITS 0.5 day
- Origin of the problems.
SUMMARY NOTE 0.5 day
- Debate around several examples.
- Case study.