5 days WEL/FPESME2
- All personnel concerned with drilling and completion operations (Operators and Services Companies) involved in operations linked to the detection of a kick and well control.
- Example: Drilling engineers, supervisors, tool pushers, drillers, assistant drillers, derrick man, mud tester, etc.
- This course aims to raise the awareness on well control issues and consequences of a blowout.
To understand the outcome of a kick and learn the methods of well control.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the impact and consequences of a blowout,
- understand the causes of a kick,
- learn about well control equipment and how to secure the well in the event of a kick occurrence,
- know the well control methods (circulation and killing),
- obtain the IWCF level 2 certification in order to attend levels 3 and 4.
- Basic technical knowledge of the petroleum industry.
Ways and means
- Course material (PPT, PDF, Word).
- Exercise book.
- Demonstration on simulator (if available): taking a kick while drilling and how to circulate this influx out in a control manner.
- Availability of a second certified IWCF instructor if necessary.
- Certified IWCF instructor.
The certification Level 2 is mandatory for the first IWCF certification. A waiting period of 10 days minimum is prescribed by IWCF before any registration to the next level. Validity of Level 2 certificate is 5 years.
THE VARIOUS PRESSURES IN THE WELL 0.75 day
- Hydrostatic pressure, pressure losses, gas law
- Circulation with the well open and with the well shut in
- Relationships between various pressures in the well
DEFINITIONS OF PRESSURES 0.25 day
- Pore pressure, frac pressure, overburden pressure (LOT and FIT)
- Necessity of a good casing cement job
KICK DETECTION 0.75 day
- Impact, consequences of a kick
- Causes and signs of a kick, well shut-in methods, observation and evolution of pressures in the well
- Precautions to avoid a kick, kick drills, exercises on trip sheet, kill sheet …)
PRINCIPLES OF WELL CONTROL METHODS 0.5 day
- Principles and Procedures
- Drillers, wait and weight, volumetric methods
EQUIPMENT AND TESTING PROCEDURES 0.75 day
- Barriers’ principle, (NORSOK standards)
- BOP stack and BOP control unit
- Auxiliary circuits: choke-manifold, mud-gas separator
- Function test, pressure test, inflow test
SUBSEA EQUIPMENT 0.5 day
- Specific equipment of Subsea BOP
- Problems related to floating rigs
SIMULATOR 0.5 day
- Layout of the well control equipment used on rig floor
- Demonstration: taking a kick while drilling and how to circulate this influx out in a control manner
IWCF CERTIFICATION 1 day
- Written test on Principles & Procedures
- Written test on well control equipment