3 days SEC/WASWATER
- Daily and shift staff in charge of operating waste water treatment units and networks.
- Operators of waste units undergoing transformation to waste treatment units.
- To enhance technical knowledge of waste water treatment processes.
- To identify the impact of pollution on the environment.
- To adapt treatment operating parameters to the properties of incoming polluted water.
- To improve the operation and maintenance of equipment.
- To react effectively in adverse situations.
- To set a basis for regulation.
Ways and means
- Equipment demos (material, pictures and videos).
- Visit of a waste water treatment unit.
Local and regional regulations 0.25 day
- Operating permit: structure, contents, key chapters, elaboration and updating process.
- Waste water specifications. Penalties in case of violation (formal requirements, fines).
Waste water characteristics 0.5 day
- Natural sources and components. Various uses of water in operating units. Effluent rejection points.
- Nature of water pollutants (hydrocarbons, acidity, suspended matters, phenols, sulfides, mercaptans).
- Analytical methods used in the laboratory and through on-line analyzers. BOD, COD, TOC.
- Pollution mechanisms, impact on environment (insoluble, organic carbon, eutrophization, sludge).
- Measurement of pollution: pollutants concentrations, quantities by unit of time. Typicals.
Physico-chemical water treatment processes 1 day
- Process water stripping: typical process scheme, optimum operating conditions.
- Settling of insoluble hydrocarbons and sludge. Settling velocity. Settler design types and improvements.
- Dissolved Air Floatation: equipment, flocculation additives, additive mix and operating parameter optimization.
- Filtration: various equipment, sand, active carbon beds, other filtration media.
Biological treatment of waste water 0.75 day
- Growth of bacteria colonies. Required feed and nutrients. Biofiltration of process water.
- Biological treatment technology: bacteria filters, activated sludge basins. Operating conditions.
Biological sludge treatment 0.5 day
- Thickening methods: settling, press filtration, flocculation-floatation, centrifugation.
- Analytical test methods: dry matter, heat value, volatile fractions, heavy metals.
- Treatment processes: digester, wet oxidation, thermal hydrolysis, incineration, smell control.