5 days MOT/PRESTAC-E
- Engineers and technical staff involved in the design, development, calibration and testing of engines, needing to know how to optimize fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.
- To improve participant’s knowledge on fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Application to engine management and fuel economy tunig.
- To be able to identify and optimize the main engine parameters to improve fuel economy.
- To be able to design, describe and tune engine management strategies impacting fuel economy.
- To be able to manage the trade-off between vehicle performances (emissions, drivability, emissions, …) and their impact on fuel economy.
Context 0.25 day
- Regulations, incentive ans consumerist context
- Fuel consumption and CO2 emissions (seen from manufacturers, consumers, governments).
- CO2 emissions and Greenhouse effect.
- Protocoles, intergovernmental agreements, new laws, tax incentives (Kyoto, CAFE, …).
- Fundamentals of fuel consumption.
Energy optimization ways 0.75 day
- Impact of the main bricks used to reduce fuel consumption
- Energy balance of a vehicle. Bar graph example of the fuel economy impact of the “bricks”; incentives & taxes.
- Reduction of fuel consumption of the powertrain (gear ratios adaptation, calibration trade-off, …).
- Reduction of fuel consumption through vehicle (S Cx, light weight, management of electrical energy, …).
- Numerical simulation exercise.
- Vehicle electrification (types and levels):
- Stop & start, micro-hybrid, mild hybrid, full hybrid, plug-in hybrid.
- Full electric vehicles, range extender.
- Which stakes? Which vehicles and when?
Engine management and calibration 0.5 day
- Introduction to engine management.
- Trade-off strategies: fuel economy / reliability, or fuel economy / consumption / driveability, or fuel economy / emissions / catalyst storage, fuel economy / max load performances.
- Inter-performance trade-off and impact on fuel economy.
- FE display on dashboard.
- Data spread / survivability.
- Homologation and conformity on production (COP).
Vehicle and powertrain electrification 1.5 days
- Energy optimization:
- Operating point of powertrain; management of vehicle performances trade-off.
- Optimization rules, help to user’s drive.
- Calibration and optimization
- Energy management law.
- Optimization criteria, investigation to optimum.
- Base optimization, off-line optimization, on-line optimization.
- Impact on fuel consummation: homologation / urban use / mixed use.
- Parametrical study based on numerical model and AMESIM simulation.
Powertrain efficiencies and fuel economy 2 days
- Evolutions related to combustion and thermodynamics
- Fuels and combustion efficiency: calorific power and energy density, alternative fuels, fossil reserves and consequences on automotive technology evolution.
- Thermodynamical efficiency (volumetric ratio, unit cylinder capacity, number of cylinders, …).
- Cycle efficiency, high pressure loop, low pressure loop.
- Engine downsizing.
- Evolutions related to mechanical losses
- Mechanical efficiency (engine and gearbox) and optimization ways:
- lubrification by oil, cooling system
- components: geometry (piston skirt, piston rings, …), weight reduction, friction losses, surface finish, tribology
- optimization of combustion engine for hybrid propulsion use.
- The objectives of thermomanagement: friction reduction, emissions management, fuel consumption management.
- The “bricks” of thermomanagement, use and impact.
- Numerical simulation exercise.
2016 course calendar
|Oct 17 - 21||Rueil||€2,590||Online||By email|