5 days RAF/REF3
- Engineers and supervisors from the production and technical departments of refining and petrochemical sites.
- This course provides a complete knowledge of processes to produce utilities (water, steam, power, air), equipment involved and supply networks, including collection networks and wastewater treatment units.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to design and operate utility units in their broad outlines.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Videos or slide shows to demonstrate the implementation of different technologies.
- Practical application exercises on the design and/or operation of each utility.
- Numerous learning games or quizzes to test participants' learning.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT 1 day
- Main properties, requirements and specifications of users.
- Pretreatment: filtration, settling, decarbonation, softening.
- Fire water network: design features, main pieces of equipment, function of foam and water.
- Cooling water: open, semi-open, and closed circuits, cooling towers, design and operation.
- Seawater cooling circuits, related problems, technical solutions.
- Demineralization: ion exchange resins, reverse osmosis, degasing, finishing treatments.
STEAM PRODUCTION & SUPPLY 1 day
- Network: pressure levels, types of users, network structure and control, turbines, static expansions.
- Water-tube boiler: water and steam circuits, air and exhaust stack (equipment and control), fuel origin, selection and optimization, types of burners, combustion follow-up, process control.
- Other types of boilers: fire-tube boilers, CO boilers, steam cracking boilers, etc.
POWER PRODUCTION & SUPPLY 1 day
- Quality requirements: power and voltage levels, other characteristics.
- Power production: turbo-generators, gas turbines, cogeneration units.
- Electrical network: key-equipment, transducers, earthing, back-up, problems of reliability.
COMPRESSED AIR & AIR GAS 0.5 day
- Process requirements: users’ specifications and reasons, air supply criticality.
- Air instruments: compressors, dryers, supply network, back-up.
- Production of nitrogen: design, uses and risks. Uses of oxygen and CO2.
HEATING NETWORKS 0.5 day
- Fuel networks: gaseous, liquid, solid. Waste gas recovery.
- Flare networks and systems. Networks of atmospheric and pressurized drains.
- Hot oil: main uses, oil furnaces, oil quality, networks.
WASTEWATER COLLECTION & TREATMENT 1 day
- Source of pollution, specifications of wastewater effluents, networks. Controls.
- Oily water treatment (settling, flotation, biological treatment), process water stripping, finishing.
- New technologies for industrial and domestic wastewater treatment. Recycling options.