3 days ENE/UCO
- Producers, refiners, contractors and other actors related to the unconventional oil projects (banks, insurance and consulting companies).
- To notice the different opportunities and challenges of unconventional oil production.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- explain the exploration and production technics of unconventional oil,
- locate the unconventional oil supply and to estimate its production costs,
- interpret the impact of unconventional oil on crude prices,
- describe the upgrading issues (location and syncrude properties) and environmental constraints,
- identify the financing specificities of an unconventional oil project.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Game on the unconventional Exploration & Production fundamentals.
- Exercise on crude pricing and refining margin.
- Unconventional oil project analysis: cost differential and production techniques.
- Debates on the industrial, environmental and economic stakes of the unconventional oil sector.
EXPLORATION & PRODUCTION OF UNCONVENTIONAL OIL 1 day
- Conventional and unconventional oil: definition and characteristics.
- Focus on unconventional resources: shale oil/light tight oil, oil shale/kerogen oil, extra heavy oil, bitumen (tar sands).
- Exploration and Production technics (geophysics, drilling, fluid injection, mining processes, etc.).
UNCONVENTIONAL OIL SUPPLY & TREATMENT 1 day
- Unconventional production at the global scale.
- Oil treatment and upgrading technics.
- Review of the projects and potential production areas: production costs and main players.
UNCONVENTIONAL OIL PRODUCTION CHALLENGES 1 day
- High production cost and continuous investment.
- Fiscal terms.
- Environmental risks and constraints (water treatment, landscape degradation, etc.).
- Upgrading issues and impacts on the downstream sector: location (in-situ, consumption areas), syncrude quality.
- Contribution of unconventional oil to the oil supply.
- Strategy of the Oil & Gas companies.