3 days ENE/UCG
- This program is targeted at people from the energy and industrial sectors and other professionals working in a context related to unconventional gas projects such as bankers, insurance agents and consultants.
- This course covers the risks and opportunities related to unconventional gas production.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- understand the characteristics of shale, tight and coal bed methane,
- describe the steps, technologies and costs to develop an unconventional gas project,
- identify the value drivers of unconventional gas development,
- locate the unconventional gas resources and what are the situation and the challenges country per country,
- define the impact of unconventional gas on price formulae and the markets unbalance,
- identify the impact of unconventional gas on economies and industries,
- identify the main unconventional gas contractors and operators and their strategies,
- describe the environmental risks related to the production of unconventional gas,
- participate in the unconventional gas debate.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Game on the unconventional exploration and production techniques,
- Unconventional gas project analysis: value drivers and cost differential,
- Debates on the industrial, environmental and economic stakes of the unconventional gas sector.
UNCONVENTIONAL GAS CHARACTERISTICS 0.2 day
- Conventional and unconventional gas (shale gas, tight gas, coal bed methane, hydrates).
- Resources & reserves.
UPSTREAM STEPS, TECHNICS & COSTS 0.8 day
- Geology, Permit negotiation & Geophysics.
- Identification & site preparation.
- Directional & horizontal drilling.
- Hydraulic Fracture Stimulation & Micro-seismic Fracture Mapping.
- Production, processing & water management.
IDENTIFICATION OF VALUE DRIVERS 0.5 day
- Production profile characteristics.
- Typical development & operational costs estimate.
- Fiscal impact.
- Impact of the learning curve on the profitability.
SHALE, TIGHT GAS & CBM POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENTS WORLDWIDE 0.5 day
- America (North and South), Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia Pacific.
ECONOMIC & STRATEGIC IMPACT OF UNCONVENTIONAL GAS REVOLUTION 0.5 day
- Unconventional gas market (contractors and size of the market).
- Strategy of the O&G companies (small and big independents, IOC, NOC).
- Impact on the gas trades and gas prices.
- Indirect impacts on energy prices (oil price, coal price).
- Economic impact on industries and government budgets (focus on petrochemicals, refining, and exporting and importing economies).
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT & ISSUES 0.5 day
- Environmental issues
- Water consumption, water treatment & waste issues.
- Surface footprint & noise.
- Greenhouse gas emissions.
- Seismic events.
- The protagonists of the debate & their communication strategy.
- The pro (O&G producers and contractors, organization, energy consumers).
- The cons (environmental & anti-globalization associations, renewable industry, some consumers).