4 days EMT/FURNDES
- Project or process control engineers in refineries or petrochemical plants, involved in furnace design and performance follow-up.
- To provide in-depth knowledge of critical design rules for tubular furnaces used in the petroleum and petrochemicals industries.
- To list the main industrial issues of furnace technology, operating conditions and constraints.
- To structure process data and define key criteria for furnace design.
- To identify pollution sources and ways to reduce emissions.
Ways and means
- Course delivered by IFP Training experts and furnace design engineers from Heurtey Petrochem SA.
- Case study used throughout the course to design the main characteristics of radiant and convection zones.
FURNACE TECHNOLOGY 1 day
- Different types of furnaces and selection criteria.
- Furnace construction and design codes. Heat Distribution & Furnace efficiency.
- Process conditions: fluid characteristics, operating conditions, required efficiency.
- Consequences on the furnace technology and tube coil material.
- Insulating material: main characteristics, installation and use.
BURNERS - ENERGY CONSUMPTION - POLLUTANT EMISSION 0.5 day
- Efficiency of tubular furnaces: design and operating parameters. Different types of burners, selection criteria, combustion performance and flame length. Impact on fuel consumption and operating costs. Pollutant characteristics: Impact of fuel quality and operating conditions on pollutant emissions. Scope for reducing emissions (CO2, NOx, SOx, particulates).
CONSTRAINTS AND DESIGN RULES 1.5 days
- Process study: furnace type selection.
- Process data: process and auxiliary fluids (water-steam, etc.), operating conditions, efficiency, furnace duty, allowable heat losses, process constraints (coke formation, thermal degradation, etc.).
- Fuel selection: combustion mass and heat balance.
- Heat exchange area calculation: heat transfer in the radiant and the convection zone, mean/maximum heat flux.
- Tube skin temperature and flue gas temperature estimate.
SAFETY DEVICES - OPERATION 1 day
- Construction codes and rules relating to safety (peepholes, explosion doors, access, fire protection).
- Safety and control system on tube coil. Operating constraints.
- Safety specifications on heaters, combustion, fuel circuits.
- Air and flue gas circulation: natural and forced draft, control and safety system.
- Recommendations for a Safe & Reliable operation