4 days EMT/FURNDES
- Project or process control engineers in refineries or petrochemical plants, involved in furnace design and performance follow-up.
- To provide in-depth knowledge of critical design rules for tubular furnaces used in the petroleum and petrochemicals industries.
- To list the main industrial issues of furnace technology, operating conditions and constraints.
- To structure process data and define key criteria for furnace design.
- To identify pollution sources and ways to reduce emissions.
Ways and means
- Course delivered by IFP Training experts and furnace design engineers from Heurtey Petrochem SA.
- Case study used throughout the course to design the main characteristics of radiant and convection zones.
Furnace technology 1 day
- Different types of furnaces and selection criteria.
- Furnace construction and design codes, rules and standards conditions. Distribution of heat supplied. Furnace efficiency.
- Process conditions (fluid characteristics, operating conditions, required efficiency) impact on furnace technology and tube coil material.
- Insulating material: main characteristics, installation and use.
Burners - Energy consumption - Pollutant emission 0.5 day
- Efficiency of tubular furnaces: design and operating parameters having an impact on efficiency, scope and limitations to improve furnace efficiency. Impact on fuel consumption and operating cost.
- Burners: different types of burners, selection criteria, combustion performance and flame length.
- Pollutant: pollutant origin and formation. Main regulations. Impact of fuel used and operating conditions on pollutant emissions. Scope for reducing emissions (NOx, SOx, particulates).
Constraints and design rules 1.5 days
- Process study: furnace type selection.
- Process data: process and auxiliary fluids (water-steam, etc.), operating conditions, efficiency, furnace duty, allowable heat losses, process constraints (coke formation, thermal degradation, etc.).
- Fuel selection: combustion mass and heat balance.
- Heat exchange areas calculation: heat transfer in the radiation and the convection zone, mean heat flux and maximum heat flux.
- Tube skin temperature and flue gas temperature estimate.
Safety devices - Operation 1 day
- Construction codes and rules relating to safety (peepholes, explosion doors, access, fire protection).
- Safety and control system on tube coil. Operating constraints.
- Safety prescriptions on heaters, combustion, fuel circuits.
- Air and flue gas circulation: natural and forced draft, control and safety system.
- Safe and reliable operation: main recommendations.