5 days EMT/THERMEQ
- Engineers, technical staff and supervisors involved in the technology and operation of thermal equipment.
- This course provides in-depth knowledge of heat exchangers, furnaces and boilers installed in industrial petrochemical plants.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- describe the technology of thermal equipment,
- compare operating conditions and implement an optimum, safe and reliable operation of heat exchangers and heaters,
- implement the main steps of start-up, shutdown, cleaning and testing procedures.
- There are no prerequisites for this training.
Ways and means
- Study of main components of burners, tube coils & refractory.
- Actual examples and applications from the refining, petrochemical and chemical industry.
- Trainee participation is continuously encouraged through the use of case studies selected by the trainees themselves.
THERMAL EQUIPMENT & HEAT TRANSFER 0.5 day
- Heat exchange conditions: convection coefficients, resistance caused by the walls and/or fouling. Overall heat transfer coefficient.
- Heat transfer by radiation: parameters influencing heat transfer, type of fuel burned, tube temperature, fouling consequence.
HEAT EXCHANGERS TECHNOLOGY & SELECTION CRITERIA 1 day
- TEMA standard heat exchangers, selection criteria for different types of shell, front ends and rear ends, floating end construction.
- Tubes: length, diameter and gage, pattern and pitch, tube-to-tube sheet connection.
- Baffles and support plates: type of transversal baffles, baffles cut, spacing.
- Thermal performance: fluid flow distribution, geometrical characteristics and technological constraints.
- Other types of heat exchanger: tubular or plate type, air coolers and condensers. Maintenance and cleaning.
HEAT EXCHANGERS PERFORMANCE & OPERATION 1 day
- Heat exchanger performance follow-up: influence of fouling.
- Optimum cleaning interval estimate, preparation, safe cleaning procedure.
- Inspection of exchanger bundles. Hydraulic pressure test: case of U tube bundle and floating head heat exchangers.
- Start-up procedure: Main steps for a safe start-up.
FURNACES & BOILERS TECHNOLOGY 1.5 days
- Different types of furnaces and their features. Operating conditions.
- Boiler technology and operating conditions.
- Efficiency of heat recovery: estimation rule. Parameters influencing heater efficiency.
- Construction of heat exchange areas and refractory materials.
- Air and flue gas circulation: natural and forced draft.
- Burner technology: fuel & air supply and mixture. Low NOx and ultra-low NOx burners technology.
OPERATION 1 day
- On stream operation: monitoring of combustion and heating. Modifying operating conditions.
- Control system: air/fuel ratio control, process fluid outlet temperature, steam pressure, feed water flow rate control, phenomena disrupting the steam drum level. Safety prescriptions on heaters, process fluid, combustion, fuel circuits.
- Safe and reliable operation: main recommendations. Start-up and shutdown: preparation, safe ignition procedures.