4 days PL/PIPEGB
- This course is aimed at engineers and technicians involved in the design, construction or operation of Oil & Gas subsea pipelines and risers.
- This course provides an in-depth technical knowledge of Oil & Gas subsea pipelines.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the fundamental concepts for designing subsea pipelines,
- comprehend the construction methods and laying techniques, including subsea tie-in and shore approach,
- manage pipeline integrity, inspection and repairs.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Lectures carry numerous examples from ongoing projects.
- Trainers are specialized engineers, currently involved in deep-offshore projects.
This module is part of the course E-780, which may be validated once all modules have been completed.
PIPELINE OPERATION: INTRODUCTION & MAIN CONSTRAINTS 0.5 day
- Definitions. Architecture of Oil & Gas production facilities.
- Pipeline concepts.
- Riser concepts.
- Fabrication of carbon steel line pipe.
- Constraints associated to subsea environment.
- Flow regimes and instabilities.
- Maintaining the flow in pipelines: management of deposits.
- Preservation during shutdown, restart.
- Production monitoring and control from surface.
- Impact of operational constraints on architecture and design.
DESIGN OF RIGID PIPELINES & RISERS 0.5 day
- Overview of pipeline design phases.
- Survey techniques and route selection.
- Thermal performance design.
- Mechanical design.
- Internal & external corrosion.
- Expansion and buckling.
- Risers design specificities.
- Limit state design.
FLEXIBLE PIPELINES DESIGN 0.25 day
- Specificities of flexible pipeline design.
OFFSHORE PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION 0.5 day
- Pipe lay methods (S, J, reel, tow).
- Initiation/abandonment, installation of in-line structures.
- Pipe lay vessels & equipment.
- Welding and NDT.
- Comparison of installation methods.
SHORE APPROACH CONSTRUCTION 0.25 day
- Shore approach construction and horizontal drilling.
TRENCHING & PROTECTION 0.25 day
- Requirements for pipeline protection.
- Soil classification.
- Overview of protection methods.
SUBSEA TIE-IN METHODS 0.25 day
- Conventional tie-ins incl. hyperbaric welding.
- Deepwater tie-ins.
- Thermal insulation of tie-ins.
PRECOMMISSIONING & PIGGING 0.25 day
- Introduction to pipeline pigging.
- Pipeline precommissioning.
- Operational pigging.
- Intelligent pigging.
PIPELINE INTEGRITY 0.75 day
- Pipeline failures.
- Management of integrity.
- Inspection and maintenance.
- Assessment of pipelines with defects. Requalification.
WORKSHOP 0.5 day
- Worked example covering the main topics of the training.