4 days FOR/STUCKPIPE
- All personnel concerned and involved in drilling operations (operators, contractor and services companies): drilling engineers, supervisors, toolpushers, drillers, etc.
- This course provides an understanding of the preventive measures to avoid a stuck pipe situation during drilling operations.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the consequences of a stuck pipe incident,
- identify and interpret any warning signs of a potential stuck pipe incident,
- implement the preventive measures to a stuck pipe incident,
- know the correct actions to take according to the stuck pipe incident,
- convince the employee of the importance of teamwork, communication and reporting.
- No prerequisites for this course.
INTRODUCTION, GEOLOGY & ROCK MECHANIC REMINDER 0.25 day
- Statistics about NPT due to stuck pipe incidents.
- Rock structure, mineralogy, main characteristics of sedimentary rock.
- Rock mechanic: stress in the ground, stress effect on hole stability.
STUCK PIPE MECHANISM & FIRST ACTIONS FOR THE DRILLER 1 day
- Differential sticking.
- Mechanical and wellbore geometry sticking.
- Solids induced pack off.
DRILL STRING LIMITS, MUD & HOLE CLEANING 0.5 day
- Drill string characteristics, margin of over-pull.
- Mud and hole cleaning.
- Methods to assess and improve hole cleaning.
METHODS TO FREE THE DRILL STRING 1 day
- Use of drilling jars.
- Reduction of the differential pressure.
- Use of lubricant pills.
- Back off methods.
HISTORY CASES 0.25 day
- Recognize the stuck pipe mechanism and analyze the causes.
FISHING EQUIPMENT 0.5 day
- Description, function and correct use of the main fishing equipment.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES 0.5 day
- Reminder of good drilling practices while drilling and tripping.
- Teamwork and monitoring.