24 hours RES/BLSRC
- Geologists, geophysicists and reservoir engineers with basic knowledge in geophysics.
- This course provides a comprehensive, practical understanding of how seismic data is used to characterize, model, and rank reservoirs.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the relationship between physical properties of rocks and geophysics,
- master the main steps of seismic reservoir characterization workflow, to perform QC and to assess data to be interpreted and related uncertainties,
- To interpret major results of petro-elastic analysis and modeling, AVO-AVA and Inversion studies and to understand methodological issues in seismic inversion, attributes classification and reservoir properties prediction.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- The first 2 hours are dedicated to introducing agenda, methods and tools.
- Specific needs and expectations of each participant are also assessed and discussed (MCQ and phone interview with the tutor).
Total training duration is 24 hours, spread over a 6-week period
Seismic reservoir characterization 3 hours
- What is seismic reservoir characterization, how is it integrated?
- Methods used and scale issues.
Rock physics 2.5 hours
- Introduction to Rock Physics.
- Rock physics theory – Basic concepts.
- Theoretical Rock Physics – Influence of key parameters.
- Practical Rock Physics – Most sensitive factors.
- Applied Rock Physics – Rock Physics Model: place in seismic reservoir characterization.
Physics & AVO principles 5 hours
- Why AVO?
- Wave propagation.
- Seismic data prerequisites.
Calibration 2 hours
- Well-to-seismic calibration: objectives & workflows.
- Review of recommended wavelet extraction techniques.
- Real case example: multi-well calibration.
- Wavelet deconvolution.
AVO in practice 3 hours
- Introduction to AVO interpretation.
- AVO seismofacies.
- AVO class.
- AVO facies volume.
Inversion 4 hours
- Introduction to Inversion of seismic data – Required input data – Inversion techniques and their limits.
- Post-stack and pre-stack inversion.
- Validation and interpretation of inversion results.
Reservoir properties prediction 4.5 hours
- Attribute classification.
- Prediction techniques.
- Characterization results validation.