3 days GCA/THERMO
- Experienced chemical or process engineers involved in process simulation or design of new processes.
- To select and validate, through an efficient methodology, the right thermodynamic model for different processing conditions.
- To gain a practical understanding of fluid behavior.
- To understand the link between molecular structures and fluid behavior.
- To identify and validate the best thermodynamic model applied to some of industry-based cases.
- Understanding of fluid phases behavior and process simulation.
Ways and means
- Subjects are presented from a practical point of view.
- Specific data file including data, diagrams, charts and correlations used in the different technical areas of chemical engineering.
- Many practical applications based on real data.
Instructors are world-class experts in Thermodynamics from IFP Energies nouvelles and industry experts.
PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES AND CHARACTERIZATION OF PURE COMPONENTS 0.25 day
- Ideal gas behavior and equations of states; the corresponding states principle (ex: the Lee&Kesler method).
- Useful correlations for vapor pressure (ex: Antoine), liquid molar volume (ex: Rackett), heat capacity (ex: Aly & Lee), enthalpy of vaporization (ex: use of the Clapeyron equation).
- Group contribution methods (ex: Joback).
- Application: compute the normal boiling temperature, heat of vaporization and liquid molar volume of a complex compound.
VAPOR-LIQUID EQUILIBRIUM OF IDEAL MIXTURES 0.5 day
- Phase diagrams (PT, isobaric, isothermal) and main laws (Raoult, Henry).
- Computation principles (ex: Rachford-Rice).
- calculate LPG entrainment using a liquid solvent
- calculate the process conditions in a distillation column, using bubble or dew temperatures.
PHASE EQUILIBRIUM OF NON-IDEAL MIXTURES 0.5 day
- Use of activity coefficient and significance of infinite dilution properties (relationship with Henry’s law).
- Azeotropy and its molecular significance.
- Parameter fitting using a simple model (ex: Margules).
- Application: hexane + acetone mixture.
- Liquid-liquid phase split with the example of water-hydrocarbon.
- Application: recognize and read binary phase diagrams.
CURRENT AND ADVANCED THERMODYNAMIC MODELS 0.75 day
- Definition of fugacity; homogeneous and heterogeneous models.
- Main activity coefficient models, their theoretical foundations and their parameters: Margules; Flory; Regular solutions; Flory-Hugins; NRTL; UNIQUAC; UNIFAC.
- Cubic equations of state, their parameters and limitations (PengRobinson, SoaveRedlichKwong): alfa functions and mixing rules.
- Some advanced models and their molecular significance.
CASE STUDIES FOR MODELS SELECTION 0.5 day
- Case-studies for chemistry and oil refining:
- C4 distillation: comparison of the efficiency without and with a solvent (extractive distillation, butadiene or acetonitrile)
- biofuels: esterification process and separations of alcohol/ester systems.
RETURN OF EXPERIENCE OF AN OPERATIONAL ENGINEER 0.5 day
- How to select and use a model for different applications?
- Emphasis on the compulsory need for a relevant model.