5 days GEO/SEISREF
- E&P professionals with no or limited experience in seismic.
- This course provides a thorough understanding of seismic reflection and usual applications.
- It aims at acquiring fundamental concepts in subsurface imaging for geological interpretation purposes.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- assess main steps of the seismic reflection workflow, from acquisition to interpretation,
- understand fundamentals of seismic wave propagation with relation to petrophysical properties of subsurface,
- grasp methodology of surface and borehole seismic acquisition, processing and interpretation.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Interactive presentations, exercises, hands-on, document analysis and videos.
Seismic waves propagation & signal processing 1 day
- Seismic waves, rock velocities and densities, Snell-Descartes laws.
- Reflection coefficients, acoustic impedance.
- Seismic reflection principle - Seismic shot gathers.
- Seismic signal vs Seismic noises – Time domain vs Frequency domain.
- Time and space sampling.
Seismic acquisition 0.5 day
- 2D and 3D seismic, land, marine, sea bottom seismic.
- Seismic sources (explosive, vibroseis, air guns, …).
- Seismic receivers (geophones, MEMS, hydrophones, …).
- Streamer, OBC, nodes, shallow water, transition zone, …
Seismic processing & imaging 0.5 day
- Seismic processing workflows, post-stack versus pre-stack.
- Enhance signal versus noise.
- CMP/Bin, Static corrections, dynamic corrections, velocity analysis.
- Stack, post-stack migrations, pre-stack migrations (PSTM – PSDM).
Borehole seismic 0.5 day
- Theory and principles, synthetic seismogram and well-to-seismic tying.
- Vertical Seismic Profile (VSP), Offset Seismic Profile (OSP), walkaway.
- Seismic While Drilling (SWD).
- Examples and applications.
Seismic interpretation 2 days
- Principles and methodology, seismic interpretation pitfalls.
- Hands-on: 2D seismic interpretation (on paper).
Seismic for reservoir analysis 0.5 day
- Seismic amplitudes analysis, direct hydrocarbon indicators (DHI), seismic attributes analysis.
- HR – HQ – HD – Broadband seismic, 4D seismic.
- Multi-component seismic, P waves vs S waves.
- AVO-AVA processing and analysis, seismic inversion.
Summary, synthesis & wrap-up