4 days SEC/SECTRA-E
- Maintenance, operational and SHE staff who handle work permits and monitor contractors on operating plants. Contractors' personnel, supervisors, engineers, foremen and crew leaders who implement maintenance and construction works.
- This course provides expert knowledge of risks related to construction and maintenance works and insight on how to promote safety practice and ensure safer work conditions and behavior.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand legal requirements, safety rules and practices,
- learn about collective protection measures and personal protective equipment required at work,
- be aware of the specific responsibilities of contractors and owners,
- improve individual behavior and obtain greater commitment from contractors' personnel for safer operations.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Detailed case studies based on actual accidents or incidents.
- Sharing of experiences among participants.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY 0.25 day
- Occupational safety, work conditions and prevention: accident causes and their consequences, investigation, reporting and cost impact - occupational diseases.
- Identification and analysis of hazards during execution of maintenance and construction works.
PRODUCT-RELATED HAZARDS & PRECAUTIONS 0.5 day
- Product-related hazards in refineries, petrochemical and chemical plants: main properties (flammable, explosive, toxic, noxious, corrosive, asphyxiating, harmful for the environment), gas detection (LEL), precautions, ATEX requirements.
- Pressure and temperature related hazards.
- Toxicology: limits, specific cases: asbestos, H2S, benzene; biological risks.
WORK-RELATED HAZARDS 2.5 days
- Material transportation equipment, manual and mechanical handling.
- Decommissioning: risks related to equipment opening and line breaking, isolation procedure, blinding and spading work, circuit lockout and tagging procedure.
- Work in confined spaces: vessel opening, ventilation, gas testing, entry permit, risk variation during work execution.
- Work at height: rules for installing and using scaffolding, ladders and harnesses.
- Use of tools and construction equipment: portable, power and air actuated tools; abrasive blasting; painting; high pressure cleaning, use of cleanup tank trucks and flexible hoses, chemical cleaning; rigging, lifting, hoisting.
- Hot works: welding, cutting and heating, grinding.
- Hazardous radiation: working with radioactive sources, X-ray work, specific risks.
- Risks related to electrical work and devices: classification of hazardous area and equipment requirements; current effects through the human body.
RISK MANAGEMENT & PREVENTION 0.75 day
- Safety procedures: work permit types and validity; purposes, application, job safety analysis, precautions, constraints; commitment and responsibility of contractors, maintenance.
- SHE and issuing operation department; permit endorsement.
- Planning and monitoring safety of contracted works on site: coordination with contractors, co-activity and interface management; preparation of prevention plan and risk assessment.
- Danger resulting from unsafe acts and/or unsafe conditions: sources of hazards, task/risk analysis, managing contractors and subcontractors.
- Management of Change (MOC).
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).