5 days SEC/SAFENGRC-E
- Managers, engineers, technicians in charge of the design of industrial facilities.
- To provide an overview of safety studies in a project.
- To define the main principles behind the design of systems of detection, mitigation and evacuation.
- To apply the outcomes of risk assessment studies in the early stages of a project.
- To use the main codes and standards for safety design (NFPA, API).
- To define the main safety principles for the project (safety concept).
Ways and means
- The main principles for safe design in simple installations are applied:
- Simulation of design review (HAZID).
- Identification of areas to be protected based on QRA results.
- Pre-sizing of fixed protection systems (water/foam).
Identifying risks 0.5 day
- Risk identification and acceptability with regards to people, environment and assets - Hazard and risk - Residual risk - Risk assessment matrix.
- Review of phenomena: gas dispersion, toxic release, thermal radiation, overpressure blast.
- Preliminary risk quantification: evaluation of risk consequences (grass root project or revamping) based on HAZID/HAZOP reviews.
Implementing Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA) results 0.75 day
- QRA context: input data and related studies (fire and explosion analysis, toxic release analysis, …) - Type of results - Identification of safety barriers.
- Implementing QRA results in the design of facilities and safety concept: impact on layout; fire and gas detection philosophy, mitigation measures and evacuation.
Prevention and layout optimization 0.5 day
- Minimizing ignition sources: ATEX, area classification, ventilation.
- Minimizing the inventory: ESD philosophy, overpressure protection, drainage.
- Layout optimization based on QRA findings - How to use safety to optimize equipment layout - Safety distances - Fire zones - Deluge zones - Escape, egress and access systems.
Detection 0.5 day
- Technology of sensors, selection and location - Cause and Effect Matrix - Fire & Gas system - Relationship with mitigation systems.
Mitigation systems 2 days
- Passive fire and blast protection: description of material, utilization, monitoring and inspection - Identification of surface/elements to be protected.
- Active firefighting systems: extinguishing agents (water, foam, dry chemicals, inert/inhibition gas).
- Fixed systems with water or foam: elements of the fire main system (main ring, fire water pumps, consumers, water tank, foam solution), application rate. Preliminary sizing of main ring, pumps and water/foam solution tank.
- Semi-fixed and mobile systems: description of equipment and use.
Escape, evacuation and rescue 0.25 day
- Primary and secondary systems of evacuation - Master area.
- Emergency powered systems (emergency lighting, PAGA, active protection systems, …).
Safety instrumented systems 0.5 day
- Safety Instrumented Function and Safety Integrity Level - Typical architecture of Safety Instrumented Systems: hierarchy, interaction with process and Fire & Gas system.
Flaring and venting 0.25 day
- Description of equipment - Blowdown philosophy - Impact on safety design.
2016 course calendar
|May 24 - 27||Lillebonne||€2,250||Online||By email|