5 days HSE/SAFENG2GB
- Safety engineers, HSE superintendents, other engineers and managers (environment, project, process, instrument and operations) involved in operating or designing and implementing major projects.
- This course provides the knowledge and tools for coordinating HSE studies, for the different stages of an onshore or offshore, Oil & Gas, grass-roots or major revamping project.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- describe the probabilistic methods of safety engineering and typical safety systems design,
- design safety systems including firewater, fire and gas detection, and over-pressure relief,
- take part in risk assessment and project evaluation,
- contribute to a corporate, experience-based, safety culture.
- Fundamental knowledge of statistical analysis and hazard identification techniques is highly recommended.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry specialist lecturer.
- Numerous applications and illustrations.
- Several case studies and teamwork sessions.
Digest of module 1 0.5 day
- Fundamentals of Safety Engineering-milestones reminder.
- Review of historical events leading to significant incidents through consequences analysis.
Inherently safer plant design 0.25 day
- Possible options for the removal or elimination of a hazard.
- Provision or addition of means to control.
- Limitation of inventories of hazardous products.
Consequence analysis methodology 1 day
- Examples of types of scenarios to be considered.
- Consequence modeling e.g. blast overpressure, dispersion modeling etc.
- Criteria for impact assessment.
Quantitative risk assessment 0.75 day
- Methodology to be used.
- Systematic QRA approach (step by step).
- Assessment and improvement.
- Case studies and application.
Safety instrumented systems 0.5 day
- Examples of safety instrumented systems & performance targets.
- Typical architecture.
- Safety Instrumented Function (SIF) and Safety Integrity Level (SIL).
- Design of ESD systems, hierarchy of ESD & actions, cause & effects.
Integrity of HSE critical equipment 0.5 day
- HSE critical equipment identification.
- Installation, commissioning and start up process.
- Testing, inspection and maintenance.
- Worked example.
Design of fire & gas detection systems 0.5 day
- Selection of Fire & Gas detector types.
- Positioning of F&G detectors.
- Logic associated with the activation of the F&G detectors.
Active & passive fire protection 0.5 day
- Design of firewater network, calculations for firewater demand.
- Fire protection using water, foam, dry chemicals and inert gas.
- Firewater systems, pump types and selection guidance.
- Practical exercise.
Human factors & human errors 0.25 day
- Human factors in process control. Alarm systems. Human error in process plants. Downgraded situations.
- Emergency situations.
Documented evidence requirements 0.25 day
- Safety case regulations.
- Safety dossier.