3 days EMT/GRFRIG-E
- Engineers, technicians, maintenance staff involved in refrigeration unit operation in process plants.
- This course provides a clear understanding of cooling system technology, performance and operating issues.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- explain the technology and operating principles of cooling systems,
- analyze the technical solutions implemented for the installation of cooling systems,
- participate in a troubleshooting analysis.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Use of participants' experience and teamwork.
- Course material and case studies based on actual examples from the industry.
COOLING CYCLE & GAS COMPRESSION 0.5 day
- Liquid/vapor balance; enthalpy diagrams. Liquid coolant properties (R22, R134 A, R717, CO2, etc.).
- Basic cooling cycle, evolution on the enthalpy diagram. Gas compression in an actual compressor: temperature, pressure and enthalpy changes. Examples of different cooling cycles integrated within specific process units: chilled water, cryogenic storage, etc.
HEAT TRANSFER & COMPRESSORS 1.25 days
- Heat transfer efficiency; consequence to operation costs. Technology.
- Typical condenser and vaporizer designs, related operation constraints. Troubleshooting.
- Reciprocating - Screw and centrifugal compressors.
- Operating conditions; flow control; power control.
- Compressor descriptions; oil and seal technologies; oil separators.
- Oil properties, selection criteria, viscosity. Troubleshooting.
REFRIGERATION UNIT CONTROL 0.5 day
- Pressure, level, flow and temperature controls. Internal and external disturbances.
- Adaptation of the refrigeration cycle on the enthalpy diagram. Automatic and manual adjustments for different process requirements.
ON LINE MONITORING & TROUBLESHOOTING - HVAC SYSTEM 0.75 day
- Start-up and shutdown. Monitoring: temperatures, ∆T, pressures, oil carry over, oil quality, exchanger fouling, leakage, air entrance, air purge, moisture problem. Replacement of CFC by HFC.
- Troubleshooting studies. HVAC system equipment and operation features - International standards.
- Natural or forced ventilation, air handling equipment: humidity control, filtration and cleaning.
- Heating or cooling: heat pump operation with reverse cooling cycle and defrost control.