5 days RPC/RPPP
- Professionals in the oil and gas industry or related sectors (in the technical, commercial, legal, finance, or HR departments) interested in oil refining.
- To provide broad technical information on refining processes and petroleum products, enabling a rapid immersion in the refining industry.
- To learn about the composition, main characteristics and new trends of petroleum products.
- To understand the role of various processing units in a refinery.
- To describe the main manufacturing schemes encountered in oil refining.
- To assess the economic environment of this industry.
Ways and means
- Detailed course material with a glossary of the main technical terms used in the refining industry.
- Active participation of trainees through interactive games and quizzes to grasp the key points of the course.
- A summary per unit is built to highlight key process variables.
Petroleum products 1.25 days
- Energy and non-energy products and their main uses, CO2 emissions and main regulated pollutants in the end use.
- Principal components of petroleum products; general hydrocarbon classification and main impurities (sulfur, nitrogen, metals and asphaltenes, etc.).
- Quality requirements imposed on petroleum products in view of their utilization: quality specifications measured by standard tests, characteristics related to the product composition, origin and processing routes.
- New trends in market structure and product characteristics to European and worldwide scale, post-combustion depollution systems, biofuels (nature, alternative fuel pathways for transport, strengths and weaknesses).
Refining processes 2.75 days
- Crude oil fractionation
- Origin, overall characteristics and classification of crude oils.
- Yields and properties of straight-run cuts obtained by distillation, potential destinations.
- Industrial units: atmospheric distillation, vacuum distillation, light-ends fractionation.
- Typical process scheme, operating conditions, energy consumption.
- Catalytic reforming and isomerization
- Octane improvement of virgin naphthas.
- Basics of processes, types of catalyst, product yields and hydrogen production.
- Industrial units: process flowsheets, operating conditions, equipment, low pressure processes.
- Hydrorefining processes
- Main features of impurities removal by catalytic hydrogen treatment.
- Main refining applications.
- Example of ULSD hydrotreatment unit: operating principles, operating conditions.
- Scrubbing treatments: amine washing, sulfur production, treatment of residual gases from Claus units.
- Conversion units
- Outline of conversion and various cracking processes.
- Characteristics and origin of feeds for cracking.
- Conversion by means of thermal cracking: visbreaker, various cokers.
- Conversion by means of catalytic cracking: FCC and related units, gasoline sweetening and desulfurization, alkylation, production of MTBE, ETBE and propylene, hydrocracker and related units, hydrogen production (SMR, POX).
- Recent developments in hydrotreatment and hydroconversion of heavy residues.
- Hydrogen balance in the refinery, energy consumption per unit, CO2 emissions at the outlet of the refinery.
- Other processes for production of petroleum products: GTL, synthetic crude oils.
Manufacturing flowsheets 0.25 day
- Main routes to major products.
- Up to date refining schemes including the production of petrochemical intermediate products.
- Impacts of the evolution of market demand and the quality of the products on manufacturing patterns.
- Base lube oil manufacturing.
Main economic features of refinery operation 0.75 day
- Prices of crude oils and products, operating costs, economic margin of a refinery.
- Examples of flexibility in operation and its economic consequences.