50 days OPE/MTRAF-E
- Foremen, shift leaders, panelists and technicians (maintenance, inspection, laboratory, analysis, research department).
- To provide comprehensive training on products, processes, equipment and safety, to enhance competency and develop the skills for the safe and efficient management of refinery operations.
- To be thoroughly familiar with the characteristics of petroleum products.
- To analyze the operating conditions of processes and equipment in order to optimize their use.
- To be familiar with the practical rules for equipment usage.
- To learn about the inherent risks of products and equipment, and contribute to operational safety.
- To communicate efficiently with colleagues and have instructions followed.
Ways and means
- Practical applications, case studies and manipulations on dynamic simulators.
- Review and wrap-up session at the end of each phase of the course.
- Site visits.
Basic training 11 days
- Physico-chemical properties of hydrocarbons and petroleum cuts.
- Properties of fluids. Liquid/vapor equilibria.
- Fluid flow. Heat, energy, heat transfer.
- Industrial and catalytic chemical reactions.
- The basic training is illustrated by many practical applications of actual examples from refineries.
Safety and environment in operations 6 days
- Hazards related to products and equipment.
- Safety in operations. Integrated safety systems and process safety.
- Works related hazards. Managing contractors and subcontractors.
- Environmental issues and related constraints.
- Case studies. Group work.
Equipment 13.5 days
- Metals and corrosion processes. Preventive measures.
- Static equipment, vessels, storage tanks.
- Rotating machinery (centrifugal and volumetric pumps, centrifugal and volumetric compressors, steam turbines): workings and technology; operation and disturbed situations; constraints and limits on equipment operation.
- Heat exchangers and air coolers: operation, test and monitoring.
- Furnaces and boilers: operating conditions, firing control, typical problems, typical start-up procedures.
- Instrumentation and control: operation and instrumentation, working of control loops.
- Advanced process control.
- Practical control exercises on a dynamic simulator.
- Technical visits to manufacturer's factories or industrial plants complete the lessons.
Products and processes 16.5 days
- Crude oil and petroleum products: characteristics, blending rules, reception and shipping, quality control tests, sampling.
- Distillation operation: binary and multiple draw off.
- Workshop on a dynamic simulator.
- Refinery processes: characteristics of the feeds and products, analysis of operations, tuning parameters, performance criteria and optimization, study of operating disturbances:
- atmospheric distillation (study on a simulator), desalting, vacuum distillation
- catalytic reforming
- hydrotreating, hydrodesulfuration and H2 production
- conversion processes: hydrocracker, FCC, coker
- finishing processes
- sulfur recovery and tail gas treatment
- bitumen manufacturing.
- Manufacturing process diagram.
- Material balance.
- Utilities: energy production, distribution and consumption, flares, cooling water, waste waters treatment, boiler feed water.
- Energy management. Production optimization.
Continuous evaluation 3 days