5 days MTE/EECV-E
- Engineers and technical staff involved in the operation, inspection and maintenance of reciprocating compressors.
- To improve participants skills in mastering the operation of reciprocating compressors.
- To identify the different process and auxiliary circuits, the different parts of a compressor and explain their role.
- To explain the evolution of compressor operating parameters.
- To implement appropriate monitoring for every specific compressor.
- To be involved in troubleshooting activities.
- To communicate efficiently with staff from other departments.
Ways and means
- Actual examples from the upstream, refining, petrochemical and chemical industries.
- Trainee participation is continuously encouraged through case studies selected by the lecturer or proposed by the trainees themselves.
- Using a dynamic simulator to illustrate phases of start-up, shutdown, including some upsets generated by the instructor.
Technology 1.5 days
- Construction and design philosophies.
- Components of reciprocating compressors: frame, cylinders, piston and rings, piston rod and crank head, crankshaft and connecting rods, bearings, compartment distance piece, specific emphasis on valves.
- Auxiliary systems: pulsation dampeners, crankshaft and cylinders lubrication, and cooling systems, safety devices.
Performances 1 day
- Ideal gas compression: discharge temperature, power.
- Actual compression: valve behavior, leakages, internal thermal exchanges.
- Indicator diagram.
- Efficiency, compression power.
- Case studies: discharge temperature and power calculation, indicator card plotting, efficiency calculation.
Compressor process operation 0.5 day
- Start-up, shutdown.
- Capacity control.
- Influence of: compression ratio, gas composition, suction temperature.
- Multistage compressors: behavior.
- Case study: air compression.
Maintenance and troubleshooting 1 day
- General aspects: noise, vibration, temperature; monitoring.
- Typical defects and failures on: valves, piston rings and packings, piston rod, etc.
- Dismantling and assembly procedures and reports.
- Case studies: typical failures encountered in reciprocating compressors.
Dynamic simulator (IndissPlus by RSI) applications 1 day