8 days MVS/PCTS-E
- Operation staff (field operators, panel operators, supervisors, …) in reception, blending of crude or petroleum products, storage or shipping facilities.
- Anyone involved in petroleum products transfer and storage management.
- This course provides a deeper knowledge of routine operations in refining and petrochemical storage facilities.
- Upon completion of the course participants will be able to:
- recognize the main characteristics of crude oil, petroleum fractions, blending stocks and finished products.
- apply the blending and manufacturing rules of finished products.
- calculate the functioning parameters of transfer by gravity or by pump.
- recognize the elements of atmospheric storage tanks.
- identify risks for safety, equipment and accounting in storage operations and develop measures appropriate to control such risks.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Case studies based on industrial situations: products transfers, products formulations.
PROPERTIES OF CRUDE OIL & PETROLEUM PRODUCTS 2.75 days
- Crude oils: main constituents, properties, initial fractionation into petroleum fractions.
- Petroleum products:
- LPG, gasoline, jet fuel, automotive Diesel oil, heating oil, heavy fuel oils, bitumen.
- Main specifications determined by end use, manufacturing constraints, storage and safety in product handling.
- Changes in product quality.
- Bases and alternative fuels: ETBE and RSME.
MANUFACTURING OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS 1.25 days
- Components: manufacturing scheme, simplified process diagrams of refineries and petrochemical units.
- Finished products formulation:
- Main rules for blending the bases.
- Manufacturing finished products: economic aspects (give-away, added profit).
- Manufacturing additives, blending of bases.
- On-line optimization manufacturing.
TRANSFER & TRANSPORT OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS 1.75 days
- Transfer by gravity: characteristics of gravity flow.
- Transfer by pumping:
- Performance of centrifugal pumps, simplified technology and adaptation to pumping circuits.
- Operation of centrifugal pumps, start-up, shutdown, installation in series and parallel implementation.
- Operation and simplified technology of volumetric pumps.
- Operation of a transfer installation: practical and economic aspects, risks of vaporization, pressure surges, etc.
- Transfer of crude oil and petroleum products by ship.
- Application: study of transfer from one tank to another.
STORAGE OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS 2.25 days
- Storage equipment:
- Pressurized and refrigerated tanks, spheres, cylindrical tanks, cryogenic tanks, cavities, ancillary equipment: safety valves, hydraulic safety valves.
- Fixed roof tanks: different types, vents, justification and limits of vent valves.
- Floating screen tanks: special features, justification.
- Floating roof tanks: different types of roof and seals, supporting legs, rainwater drainage.
- Protection against fire risks.
- Tank operation:
- Operational safety: risks of inflammation, static electricity, pyrophoric substances, emulsions, overflowing, toxic products.
- Heating. Mixing.
- Measuring the quantities delivered, stored and shipped: manual and remote gauging, measuring the temperature locally and remotely, volumetric and dynamic meters, manual and automatic sampling.
- Usual operation of storage tanks including emptying, degassing and making ready for use.