8 days MVS/PCTS-E
- Field operators, panel operators, foremen and staff in reception, blending of crude or petroleum products, storage or shipping facilities.
- Anyone interested in petroleum products transfer and storage management.
- To improve competency for the safe operation of storage facilities.
- To learn the detailed characteristics of crude oil, petroleum fractions, blending stocks and finished products.
- To grasp the issues involved in blending and manufacturing finished products.
- To analyze the operating and monitoring conditions for transfer by gravity or pumping.
- To become proficient in operating tanks and storage facilities under safe conditions.
Ways and means
- Case studies based on industrial situations: products transfers, products formulations.
Properties of crude oil and petroleum products 2.75 days
- Crude oils: main constituents, properties, initial fractionation into petroleum fractions.
- Petroleum products
- LPG, gasoline, jet fuel, automotive Diesel oil, heating oil, heavy fuel oils, bitumen.
- Main specifications determined by end use, manufacturing constraints, storage and safety in product handling.
- Changes in product quality.
- Bases and alternative fuels: ETBE and RSME.
Manufacturing of petroleum products 1.25 days
- Components: manufacturing scheme, simplified process diagrams of refineries and petrochemical units.
- Finished products formulation
- Main rules for blending the bases
- Manufacturing finished products: economic aspects (give-away, added profit)
- Manufacturing additives, blending of bases
- On-line optimization manufacturing.
Transfer and transport of petroleum products 1.75 days
- Transfer by gravity: characteristics of gravity flow.
- Transfer by pumping
- Performance of centrifugal pumps, simplified technology and adaptation to pumping circuits.
- Operation of centrifugal pumps, start-up, shut-down, installation in series and parallel implementation.
- Operation and simplified technology of volumetric pumps.
- Operation of a transfer installation: practical and economic aspects, risks of vaporization, pressure surges, etc.
- Transfer of crude oil and petroleum products by ship.
- Application: study of transfer from one tank to another.
Storage of petroleum products 2.25 days
- Storage equipment
- Pressurized and refrigerated tanks, spheres, cylindrical tanks, cryogenic tanks, cavities, ancillary equipment: safety valves, hydraulic safety valves
- Fixed roof tanks: different types, vents, justification and limits of vent valves
- Floating screen tanks: special features, justification
- Floating roof tanks: different types of roof and seals, supporting legs, rainwater drainage.
- Protection against fire risks.
- Tank operation
- Operational safety: risks of inflammation, static electricity, pyrophoric substances, emulsions, overflowing, toxic products.
- Heating. Mixing.
- Measuring the quantities delivered, stored and shipped: manual and remote gauging, measuring the temperature locally and remotely, volumetric and dynamic meters, manual and automatic sampling.
- Usual operation of storage tanks including emptying, degassing and making ready for use.