5 days PGP/GPP-E
- Supervisors and Engineers (process, plant projects, maintenance, operations) and Engineering Contractor staff.
- This course provides knowledge on specific features of small projects implemented in operating facilities.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- apply proven project management practices to small projects, during FEED and execution,
- define an organization and execution plan for small projects, suited to the site structure,
- monitor critical interfaces with Production and Maintenance, at each stage of the projects,
- identify SHE design risks of small projects, and adapt them accordingly.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Numerous examples from actual refining/chemical projects.
- A project case study is used throughout the course (exercises performed by the participants) for all stages.
- Various games and knowledge verification quizzes to enhance understanding of the key features.
Course consistent with the PMI standards and the 5th edition of the PMBOK. Worth 30 PDU.
PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING 2.5 days
- Specific constraints of plant projects (resources, organization, schedule, management of several simultaneous projects).
- Stage-gate process: various stages from conceptual design to start-up. Roles and responsibilities of the Project Manager.
- Integrated team. Project Initiation, Basic Engineering. Reviews of the technical packages with Owner.
- Cost optimization, Value Engineering. Cost estimating methods, accuracy and confidence level. Contingencies.
- Project Execution Plan: organization chart, objectives, priorities, milestones, constraints. Interface management.
- SHE design risk identification and assessment. Overview of the main methods (HAZID, HAZOP).
CONTRACTING & DETAIL ENGINEERING 1 day
- Engineering contract types. Advantages and drawbacks. Management of an umbrella contract.
- Detail Engineering: regulatory compliance, Owner Corporate standards, deviations. List of deliverables.
- Most common technical pitfalls. Control of Detail Engineering documents.
PROCUREMENT 0.5 day
- Procurement of equipment: specifications, purchasing, expediting, inspection, transportation. Quality Control Plan.
- Planning and scheduling for equipment supply and field construction. Scheduling tools. Critical path. Contingency plans.
CONSTRUCTION / START-UP 1 day
- Specific risks associated with revamp projects (technical, economical, SHE). Field works during Turnarounds.
- Construction strategy (use of maintenance or other construction contractors). Construction management and methods.
- Subcontractor field supervision and control. Safety, Health and Environment Management. Change Management.
- Precommissioning. Mechanical Completion, management of punch-list items, Commissioning, Provisional Acceptance.
- Post-startup activities, technical and financial closure, Final Acceptance, bank warranty.