2 days GCA/PRO2-E
- Engineers looking for a practical introduction to simulation of industrial units.
- This course aims to present an overview of the use of the PROII/PROVISION or HYSYS software programs.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- simulate industrial flow schemes with different unit operations, using the thermodynamic tools at hand,
- explain and analyze the output of a simulation,
- grasp the concepts necessary for an efficient use of a simulation tool as a controller, optimizer, calculator, etc.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Computer-based case studies with analysis of simulation inputs and outputs.
SIMULATION PRINCIPLES & DATA PREPARATION 0.25 day
- Simulation principles: concepts of streams and units.
- Getting started with PRO II/PROVISION: start a new simulation or open an existing simulation file, import a keyword input file, export a simulation database.
- Presentation of the different menus, ribbon bar buttons, PFD Main Window and PFD palette. Presentation of the input and output files.
- Thermodynamic methods: available models, selection criteria.
- Supplying required data for components and feed streams: pure components, petroleum pseudo components, analysis data.
OPERATIONS WITH PURE LIQUID-VAPOR EQUILIBRIA 0.25 day
- Analysis of different operations with pure components: flash, compression, depressurization, preheating, vaporization, cooling down, condensation.
- Practice analysis of two different cryogenic cycles with propane, operating conditions and impact on the efficiency of the process, representation on the enthalpic diagram and validation of the results. Influence of the purity of the propane and impact of a pollution with little quantity of air.
SEPARATION OF HYDROCARBON MIXTURES 0.75 day
- Liquid-vapor equilibria of hydrocarbon mixtures:
- Required data for a liquid-vapor equilibrium (flash) simulation.
- Different types of flash specifications: fixed pressure and temperature, bubble point, dew point, etc.
- Practice: hydrocarbon flashes, water-hydrocarbon condensation.
- Required data for the simulation of a distillation column: number of trays, feeds and products, pressure profile, type of condenser and reboiler, etc.
- Different types of specifications - Available parameters.
- Print options: temperature, rate or composition profiles.
- Practice: design of a depropanizer and a draw-off column.
PRACTICE, CASE STUDIES & COMPLEMENTARY TOOLS 0.75 day
- By means of numerous exercises, complementary tools are presented: controller, optimizer, case study, calculator, and their role, efficiency and necessary data are studied.
- HYSYS practice:
- Natural gas degasolination by different means.
- Cryogenic cycle (flash, compressor, heat exchanger, etc.): determination of the cooling fluid to be implemented in different cases (use of a “controller”).
- Gas expander cycle (compressor, expander, reactor, heat exchanger, etc.): determination of the efficiency in different cases (use of a “calculator”).
- PROII practice:
- Distillation column: optimization of the feed inlet tray location (use of an “optimizer” or “a case study”). Heat integration.