85 days GCA/PETREF
- This training is geared towards engineers entering the refining and petrochemical industries or professionals with limited industry experience wishing to broaden their knowledge.
- This certification aims to develop competencies in processes, equipment, operation, safety, and the economical aspects of petroleum refining and petrochemicals.
- Upon certification, participants will be able to:
- understand the basics of refining techniques,
- select and design the main equipment of processing plants,
- comprehend the technology and operation of equipment,
- understand the main refining processes, their fundamental aspects and operation,
- recognize safety and environmental issues in refinery operations,
- explain economic industry issues.
- Candidates are required to have prior knowledge of products, processes, technologies and the secure operation of units.
Ways and means
- Case studies & applications related to industrial situations,
- Dynamic simulators (RSI IndissPlus simulators): equipment simulators and generic process units simulators,
- Project: design of a distillation column using PROII/PROVISION.
PHYSICO-CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF HYDROCARBONS & PETROLEUM CUTS 5 days
- Organic compounds, crude oil and petroleum products.
- Quality control - Standard tests - Blending rules.
APPLIED THERMODYNAMICS 5 days
- Properties of pure substances.
- Fluid properties: liquid-vapor equilibria of hydrocarbons mixtures, of non ideal mixtures, of non identified components.
- K values from modern numerical methods.
DISTILLATION COURSE & PROJECT WITH PROII 10 days
- Classical industrial column design, short cut methods.
- Operating parameters, optimization, process control parameters.
- Internal equipment.
- Practice of PROII/PROVISION, process simulation, simplified design of equipment, economic evaluation and optimization.
CRUDE OIL & VACUUM DISTILLATION 6 days
- Typical distillation units: process diagrams, operating conditions, separation quality.
- Corrosion and desalting.
- Operation and control of multidraw-off columns; vacuum systems.
PROCESSING OF LIGHT CUTS & MIDDLE DISTILLATES 7 days
- Catalytic reforming, isomerization, hydrotreatment, sweetening of light cuts and sulfur recovery.
PROCESSING OF HEAVY CUTS 7 days
- Overview of conversion processes: thermal processes, catalytic processes.
- Visbreaking, coking processes, FCC, RFCC, distillate hydrocracking, residue hydrocracking.
HEAT TRANSFER EQUIPMENT 5 days
- Heat transmission.
- Heat exchangers: sizing and performances, operation.
- Furnaces and boilers: performances, operating conditions, combustion, operation, safety.
FLUID FLOW - ROTATING MACHINERY 10 days
- Characteristics of liquid and gas simple phase flow; gas compression laws, expansion.
- Technology and operation of pumps, compressors, steam turbines, gas turbines, electrical motors.
INSTRUMENTATION & PROCESS CONTROL 5 days
- Instrumentation, controllers, valves, control loops implementation.
- PID tuning, monovariable control limits, multivariable control.
SAFETY IN OPERATIONS 8 days
- Product and equipment related risks, safety in process operation.
- Hazard analysis in design and operation.
PRODUCTION OF OLEFINS & AROMATICS 12 days
- Sources, outlets and main industrial uses of olefinic and aromatic intermediaries.
- Steam cracking and treatment of the cuts produced.
- Fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) and production of aromatics.
- Economics of petrochemicals.
PETROLEUM ECONOMICS 5 days
- Evolution of the demand for derived products, international oil markets.
- Short term refinery management.