85 days GCA/PETREF
- Engineers entering the refining and petrochemicals industry or professionals with limited experience in this industry wishing to broaden their capacity.
- To develop full competency in the processes, equipment, operation, safety, and economics aspects of petroleum refining and petrochemicals.
- To acquire a solid base in refining techniques.
- To select and design the main equipment of processing plants.
- To learn about the technology and operation of equipment.
- To understand the main refining processes, their fundamental aspects and operation.
- To be familiar with safety and environmental issues in refinery operations.
- To provide an introduction to economic issues of the industry.
Ways and means
- Development of professional know-how.
- Case studies, applications related to industrial situations.
- Use of dynamic simulators (RSI IndissPlus simulators): equipment simulators, generic process units simulators.
- Project: design of a distillation column, using PROII/PROVISION.
Physico-chemical properties of hydrocarbons and petroleum cuts 5 days
- Organic compounds, crude oil and petroleum products.
- Quality control - Standard tests - Blending rules.
Applied thermodynamics 5 days
- Properties of pure substances.
- Fluid properties: liquid-vapor equilibria of hydrocarbons mixtures, of non ideal mixtures, of non identified components.
- K values from modern numerical methods.
Distillation course and project with PROII 10 days
- Classical industrial column design, short cut methods.
- Operating parameters, optimization, process control parameters.
- Internal equipment.
- Practice of PROII/PROVISION, process simulation, simplified design of equipment, economic evaluation and optimization.
Crude oil and vacuum distillation 6 days
- Typical distillation units: process diagrams, operating conditions, separation quality.
- Corrosion and desalting.
- Operation and control of multidraw-off columns; vacuum systems.
Processing of light cuts and middle distillates 7 days
- Catalytic reforming, isomerization, hydrotreatment, sweetening of light cuts and sulfur recovery.
Processing of heavy cuts 7 days
- Overview of conversion processes: thermal processes, catalytic processes.
- Visbreaking, coking processes, FCC, RFCC, distillate hydrocracking, residue hydrocracking.
Heat transfer equipment 5 days
- Heat transmission.
- Heat exchangers: sizing and performances, operation.
- Furnaces and boilers: performances, operating conditions, combustion, operation, safety.
Fluid flow - Rotating machinery 10 days
- Characteristics of liquid and gas simple phase flow; gas compression laws, expansion.
- Technology and operation of pumps, compressors, steam turbines, gas turbines, electrical motors.
Instrumentation and process control 5 days
- Instrumentation, controllers, valves, control loops implementation.
- PID tuning, monovariable control limits, multivariable control.
Safety in operations 8 days
- Product and equipment related risks, safety in process operation.
- Hazard analysis in design and operation.
Production of olefins and aromatics 12 days
- Sources, outlets and main industrial uses of olefinic and aromatic intermediaries.
- Steam cracking and treatment of the cuts produced.
- Fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) and production of aromatics.
- Economics of petrochemicals.
Petroleum economics 5 days
- Evolution of the demande for derived products, international oil markets.
- Short term refinery management.