10 days GEO/GPHYSICS
- E&P professionals with no or limited experience in petroleum geophysics.
- This course provides a comprehensive, practical understanding of most techniques used in petroleum geophysics.
- To focus on seismic techniques applied to investigate both reservoirs structure and petrophysical characteristics.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- select the appropriate geophysical method to be used during various phases of petroleum Exploration & Production,
- gain an insight into seismic reflection and methodology: acquisition, processing and interpretation,
- acquire the fundamental principles of borehole seismic and reservoir geophysics.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Interactive presentations, exercises, document analysis and videos.
- 2 workshops on PC, using Seismic processing and interpretation software tools.
Introduction to petroleum geophysics 0.25 day
Seismic waves propagation & signal processing 0.75 day
- Seismic waves, rock velocities and densities, Snell-Descartes laws.
- Reflection coefficients, acoustic impedance.
- Seismic reflection principle - Seismic shot gathers.
- Seismic signal vs Seismic noises – Time domain vs Frequency domain.
- Time and space sampling.
Seismic acquisition 2.5 days
- Geodesy – Projections – Topographic surveying.
- 2D and 3D seismic, land, marine, sea bottom seismic.
- Seismic sources (explosive, vibroseis, airguns, …).
- Seismic receivers (geophones, MEMS, Hydrophones, …).
- Streamers, OBC, nodes, shallow water, transition zone, …
Seismic processing & imaging 2.5 days
- Seismic processing workflows, post-stack versus pre-stack.
- Enhance signal versus noise.
- CMP/Bin, static corrections, dynamic corrections, velocity analysis.
- Stack, post-stack migrations, pre-stack migrations (PSTM – PSDM).
- Workshop: 2D Seismic Processing.
Borehole seismic 0.75 day
- Theory and principles, synthetic seismogram and well tie.
- Vertical Seismic Profile (VSP), Offset Seismic Profile (OSP), walkaway.
- Seismic While Drilling (SWD).
- Examples and applications.
Seismic interpretation: theory & practice 2 days
- Principles and methodology, seismic interpretation pitfalls.
- 2D seismic interpretation practice (on paper).
- Workshop: 3D Seismic Interpretation.
Seismic for reservoir analysis 1 day
- Seismic amplitudes analysis, Direct Hydrocarbon Indicators (DHI), seismic attributes analysis.
- HR – HQ – HD – Broadband seismic, 4-D Seismic.
- Multi-component seismic, P waves versus S waves.
- AVO-AVA processing and analysis, seismic inversion.
Gravimetry, magnetometry & electro-magnetOMETRY 0.25 day
- Gravimetry theory and principles.
- Magnetism theory and principles.
- Electro-Magnetometry theory and principles.
Summary, synthesis & wrap-up