35 days OPE/FBMOC-E
- Experienced field operators moving on to panel operator positions in refining and petrochemical plants.
- To provide basic knowledge and know-how for a rapid mastery of panel operator skills.
- To be familiar with their duties and control room organization.
- To communicate efficiently with colleagues.
- To acquire the necessary theoretical foundations to understand how production processes work.
- To read and analyze process control schemes (PFDs, P&IDs, control schemes, logic diagrams).
- To understand the risks related to equipment and machinery operation; and enforce adequate preventive actions.
- To adapt the plant process parameters according to operating conditions, products quality, energy consumption and environmental constraints.
- To determine possible causes of a disturbance from process analysis and act accordingly, in a methodical way.
- To anticipate possible consequences of a disturbance affecting the process.
Ways and means
- Training involves on-site work and supervision from mentors in the plant.
- Case studies and applications on generic dynamic simulators: half of the course takes place in the training center.
- Interactive delivery method.
Customized simulators may be used as a complement to this training program.
Panel operator duties and control room activities 2 days
- Panel operator role within the operation team; control room staff. Reporting and handover duties.
- Plant documentation: inventory, content, usage, role and duties of the panel operator.
Basic professional training 4 days
- Notions of industrial chemistry. Fluid mechanics: pressure, flowrates, fluid flow, pressure drops.
- Heat exchange: exchange mechanisms, resistance to heat transfer.
- Liquid-vapor equilibrium of pure substances and mixtures.
- Simulators: impact of operating parameters on the chemical reaction, heat exchanges, flash drum.
Process control, automation & DCS usage 6 days
- Process control
- Constitution of a control loop, symbols used. Sensors and transmitters. Control valves.
- Controllers operating principles, inputs/outputs, internal parameters and tuning.
- Complex control loops (cascade, split range, multiple calculation blocks).
- Simulators: Valves characteristic curves. PID parameters tuning. Heat exchanger duty control. Split range configuration. Behavior analysis of complex control loops.
- Distributed Control System (DCS)
- Architecture and system components. Man - Machine Interface (MMI). Trends tools. Information flux between site and control room.
- Safety instrumented systems: PSS, ESD, HIPPS, EDP; architecture and relationship with DCS. Safety logics and cause & effect matrix
- PLCs and automation: grafcet analysis, study of specific sequences.
- Simulators: structure of the ESD system on a two-phase drum; furnace safety logics.
Equipment operation 8 days
- For each: working principles, technology, ancillary systems, process control scheme monitoring, operation, alarms, safety devices.
- Pumps, compressors, drivers
- Simulators: operation of two pumps in parallel, pumps switch; changes in operating conditions, capacity control, troubleshooting of a compressor; start-up of a steam turbine driven centrifugal compressor.
- Thermal equipment: heat exchangers, air coolers, furnaces, boilers
- Simulators: fouling of a heat exchanger; changing fuel supplied to burners, coil fouling, ...
- Specific equipment for a given assignment unit (gas turbines, solid handling, extruders ...).
Products and processes 6 days
- Composition and physico-chemical properties of feeds and products.
- Commercial products quality requirements, specification and standard tests. Mixing rules.
- Process units: role, principles, main equipment, specific hazards. Influence of the main operating parameters on the operation, consequences on process and products. Material balance.
- Distillation, absorption, stripping.
- Utilities: flare systems, air production, effluent treatment units, steam, waters treatments, …
- Simulators: start-up and shutdown, operation and control of various process units (for instance: two-product distillation columns, multi draw-off distillation column, amine absorption and regeneration, sulfur recovery unit, hydrotreatment unit).
Integrated plant safe operation 6 days
- Panel Operator safe behavior
- Radio communication, other communication equipment. Teamwork, responsibilities sharing.
- Alertness, forward thinking plant operation. Alarms management.
- Application: role plays using the simulators (with panel operator views and FODs).
- HSE in operation
- Product, equipment and process-related risks; prevention and protection.
- Risks related to operation of equipment, to decommissioning-commissioning and start-up of equipment, specific prevention measures.
- Routine operations. Permit to work, work order, consignations and isolations.
- Special operations: SIMOPS, black start. Emergency operation and crisis management.
- Impact of plant operation on gas release to atmosphere and on the waste water treatment unit.
- Integrated plant operation
- Steady state runs: routine checks, integrated plant behavior (inertia, interferences), global performances.
- Identification, analysis and reaction to upsets and equipment failures; stabilization.
- Simulators: field round on a running process unit; commissioning, start-up and shutdown procedures, justifications of different steps; inhibitions management; operations in downgraded situations; practice of emergency operations.
Assessment 3 days
- Continuous assessment (incl. practical exercises on simulators).
- Final test with real-life situation simulation exercises to validate objectives.