4 days EIM/SACPE-E
- Engineers & technical staff involved in the equipment maintenance including painting and coating issues.
- This training covers the fundamentals of anticorrosion painting systems and the quality control.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- identify the main types of industrial painting,
- choose the most efficient painting features,
- supervise and inspect efficiently painting works.
- There are no prerequisites for this training.
Ways and means
- Learning process including case studies.
- Visit of a paint workshop or a control laboratory.
CHARACTERISTICS & PROPERTIES OF PAINTINGS & COATINGS 1.25 days
- Paint components. Binders and plastifiers, pigments, fillers, colorants, additives, solvents.
- Physical characteristics of paint. Fluidity at different temperatures, % solids, lifetime, hardening, drying, safety problems; atmospheric conditions consequences. Paint manufacture and recent developments.
- Different types of industrial paint:
- Physically drying paints, oxidative paints, chemical polymerization paints, anticorrosion systems for aggressive environments.
- Advantages and drawbacks of the different types of paints.
- Paints for special environments (abrasive, high temperature, low temperature) and for different materials (stainless steel, galvanized steel, aluminum, concrete, etc.).
- Composition of a paint system (role of coats and compatibility).
PAINT APPLICATION IN INDUSTRY 1.5 days
- Preparation of surfaces:
- Rust scales, roughness, surface profile, degree of care, preparation by organic solvents, preparation by high pressure water jetting, wire brushing, blast cleaning, sponge jet.
- Tests on samples, chemical conversion of surfaces (passivation, phosphating, chromating, oxalating, etc.).
- Main paintings parameters: use of brush, rollers, spraying, composition, surface tension, viscosity, temperature, solvent volatility, speed of jet leaving gun, type of jet and regulation, spray gun and equipment handling.
- Compressed air.
- Airless high pressure spraying (principle, installation, regulation, tests, etc.).
- Thermal spray aluminum.
INSPECTION, CONTROL & COMMISSIONING 1.25 days
- Paint defects, causes, control procedures. Control of raw materials and finished products, application control, coating control:
- Causes of deterioration (chemical, mechanical, photochemical, biological, etc.). Prevention and repair techniques.
- Specifications and rules. European standards, ISO, etc. and safety regulations : qualification of painting systems:
- Qualifications of painters. Inspection and control: tests performed on painted equipment and structures.