2 days PCH/CRC-E
- Operating or maintenance technicians, operating staff in chemical production facilities.
- This course provides the know-how for an autonomous job position in the operation and maintenance of chemical production units, such as polymerization, fertilizers, chlorine, etc.
- Upon completion of the course, the participants will be able to:
- understand the role of chemical reactions and reactants in the production process,
- know about the operating constraints induced by the chemical reactions implemented in a production unit,
- grasp the impact of operating conditions on the production facilities' output.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Content may be customized for a particular process if information is provided at least one month in advance.
Confidentiality agreement if necessary.
MAIN SECTIONS OF THE UNIT 0.25 day
- Process flow scheme of the unit, specifically in the reaction section.
- Main operating conditions: temperature, pressure, flow rates, concentrations, profiles, etc. Process control.
CHEMICAL BACKGROUND 0.5 day
- Composition of the feed, characteristics of the effluents - Nature and role of the reactants; role of the recycle if any.
- Chemical and physical characteristics of the chemical reaction: thermal effect, kinetics, complete or incomplete, catalyst role if pertinent.
- Catalyst nature and effect, loading, poisons, ageing, regeneration, etc.
EQUIPMENT 0.25 day
- Reactor type (mixed or piston type), internal devices, mixers, cooling system and temperature control.
- Recycling system: pumps, compressors, flashes, filters, etc.
- Safety mechanical devices, SIS, short stop if pertinent.
ANALYSIS OF OPERATING CONDITIONS 0.5 day
- Mass balance, heat balance.
- Operating parameters and impact on yields and purity, by-products and purification operations if pertinent.
- Advanced operation: yields and related modifications, selectivity and impacting parameters, feed composition.
- Reaction cycle: duration, parameters profiles as a function of time.
- Operation of the downstream fractionation and purification units.
OPERATION & DISTURBANCES 0.5 day
- Nature and origins of disturbances: consequences, diagnostic, parades.
- Specific safety measures around the reactor.