15 days MTM/OMIRM
- Engineers, supervisors and technical staff involved in rotating machinery maintenance and inspection.
- To provide a clear machinery understanding, including lubrication and troubleshooting, through vibration analysis and other techniques.
- To explain how the machines and their components work.
- To list the mechanical consequences of specific operating conditions.
- To describe the failure modes of each component.
- To participate in the machinery reliability improvement process.
Ways and means
- Pumps, compressors and turbines manufacturing site visits.
- Workshop and practical exercises.
- Case studies based on industrial feedback.
Technology and operation of main rotating machines (pumps, compressors, turbines, electric motors) 5 days
- Main parts of the machines: casing, rotor, bearing, coupling.
- Ancillaries: flushing, heating and cooling, lubrication systems.
- Maintenance: assembly and dismantling procedures, inspection, clearance, adjustment, roughness.
- Operation and performance
- Process aspects
- Operational parameters; head, flow, rpm, efficiency
- Characteristic curves. Regulation. Start-up, routine monitoring
- Effect of internal wear.
- Mechanical aspect
- Stresses in machines. Influence on lifespan, on damage
- Failure prevention; monitoring, repair quality.
- Internal leakages. Unbalancing. Wear and ruptures.
- Practical exercises (time included in above items)
- Recording and plotting pressure of a centrifugal pump.
- Plant visits: centrifugal pumps manufacturer; centrifugal compressors and steam turbines manufacturer.
Technology and maintenance 5 days
- Purpose, different types of oil and grease. Practical aspect.
- Antifriction bearings: types, lifespan, mounting, applications, related problems.
- Plain and pad bearings, thrust bearings: operation, maintenance, incidents.
- Coupling and alignment
- Different types of couplings, related problems.
- Different methods of alignment, tolerances, practical aspects.
- Sealing devices for pumps and compressors
- Mechanical pump seals, types, operation, related problems.
- Installation, geometrical checks.
- Other seals for positive displacement pumps and reciprocating compressors.
- Rotors and shafts
- Balancing: eccentricity, tolerances. Assembling on shaft: effect on balancing.
- Geometrical shaft controls.
- Practical exercises
- Bearing mounting and overhaul. Geometrical shaft control. Shaft alignment.
- Mechanical seal mounting.
- Plant visit: machine component manufacturer.
Forecasting breakdowns 5 days
- Study of ruptures, wear and other failures
- Typical damage to machines: onset of problems and causes of failures, influences of metallurgy and surface treatments.
- Fatigue, wear and tear. Rupture face analysis.
- Case studies: rupture and wear examinations of typical parts, analysis of some centrifugal pump breakdowns.
- Use of vibration analysis
- Different types of measurements and sensors.
- Monitoring of turbomachines rotor behavior.
- Spectrum analysis applied to pumps, fans.
- Management of machinery reliability
- Reliability centered maintenance.
- Detection of Bad Actors.
- Improving reliability through failure analysis and diagnosis.
- Monitoring the maintenance activity performance.
- Practical exercises
- Measurement and analysis of vibrations.
- Machinery component failures, analysis on examples.