5 days EAM/EPCN
- People who could participate in one or more stages of an EP contract negotiation: negotiators, project managers, explorers, engineers, lawyers, economists, advisors, financiers, managers from the public sector related to the energy sector and representatives of national companies
- To have an overview of the EP patrimonial contract negotiation and to develop or deepen a skill in negotiating, using rigorous and innovative approach and proven techniques
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able:
- to distinguish the characteristics of the patrimonial contracts (Concession, Production Sharing Agreement) and the contracts between oil companies (farm-in / farm-out, joint-bidding agreement, JOA)
- to describe the different ways to access acreage
- to use a rigorous and innovative approach, and proven techniques, for negotiating contracts
- to make an objective and comprehensive report to its hierarchy and to anticipate objections
Ways and means
- Simulation of a negotiation (role play where each stakeholder is played by a different team)
Reminder of contractual and fiscal framework of Exploration-Production 1 day
- Concession, Production Sharing Agreement, Service Contracts
- Analysis of the contract contents' analysis
- Distribution of the different items into homogeneous “bundles”: clauses related to the exploration stage, clauses conducting operations, clauses related to economic and tax calculations, to pure legal issues, to financial terms, etc.
- Important clauses of a contract to prepare a negotiation
Other E&P contracts 0.5 day
- Association contracts (Joint Operating Agreement - JOA): operator, operating committee, budget, default, Sole risk, accounting procedures, etc.
- Joint studies and submission procedures (Joint Study and Bidding Agreement - JSBA): consortium, right to be a partner, best deals, restrictions to participate in another consortium, default, etc.
- Unitization agreement
- Farm-in and Farm-out: assignment, obligation of profit, default, arbitration, etc.
Negotiation 0.5 day
- Negotiation principles: methodology and techniques
- Preparation for negotiating: principles, economic reminders, technical reminders (reserves, etc.)
Role play 2.5 days
- Case study preparation per team (Joint Venture: JV, State)
- Preparation for the first round of negotiation (contact and consultation)
- First simulation and debriefing, updating the negotiation plan
- Preparation for the second round of negotiation (confrontation and early conciliation)
- Second simulation and debriefing, updating the negotiation plan
- Preparation for the third round of negotiation (construction of the agreement and conclusion)
- Third simulation and debriefing
- Preparation of the report to the management
Reminder of economic evaluation of E&P projects 0.5 day
- Cost of capital and discount rate, value creation
- Economic criteria for project evaluation: net present value (NPV), internal rate of return (IRR), payback period, etc.
- Global profitability analysis, the impact of taxation and inflation on economic indicators
2016 course calendar
|Mar 21 - 25||Rueil||€3,920||Online||By email|
|Sep 05 - 09||Rueil||€3,920||Online||By email|