5 days PROD/NATGAS
- Professionals from all sectors, involved or interested in the natural gas industry.
- This course provides a comprehensive review of the techniques involved in natural gas production, processing and transport, complemented with an overview of natural gas valorization channels.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- explain fundamentals of natural gas composition, characteristics, production and field processing,
- understand technical issues and specific constraints of natural gas transport and storage,
- review the various end-user markets available for valorizing natural gas,
- grasp key natural gas chain economic issues.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry-specialist lectures.
- Numerous applications and illustrations.
Natural gas: types & production techniques 0.75 day
- Types and characteristics of natural gas fields. Production techniques.
- Different types of natural gases (condensate, wet or dry gas) and characterization parameters.
- Constitution of natural gas well effluent, properties and specific hazards.
- Case of associated gases: recovery techniques, characteristics, composition, etc.
End uses of natural gas - Main quality requirements 0.25 day
- End uses of natural gases: fuel (domestic and industrial uses), conversion into other energy types (electricity production and cogeneration), automotive fuel (Natural Gas for Vehicles - NGV and conversion into liquid automotive fuels GTL), chemical valorization, etc.
- Quality requirements for commercial natural gases and associated products (ethane, LPG, condensates) - Examples of quality standards.
Natural gas processing 2 days
- Gas dehydration (drying) and Hydrate formation inhibition:
- System behavior. Moisture content of a saturated gas.
- Applications: moisture content of different gases having various compositions.
- Hydrate formation inhibition by injection of inhibitors: MeOH, MEG, DEG, LDHI, etc.
- Gas dehydration: TEG units, Molecular Sieves, etc.
- Application: summary design of TEG unit.
- Gas sweetening: removal of acid components (H2S and/or CO2):
- Different techniques applicable for gas sweetening:
- Chemical solvent processes. Amine units (MEA, DEA, DGA, MDEA, etc.).
- Physical solvent processes.
- Hybrid (physico-chemical) solvent processes.
- Overview of other techniques.
- Conversion of H2S: sulfur production (CLAUS process) and tail gas processing.
- Application: summary design of an amine unit.
- Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) extraction (removal of heavy components):
- External refrigeration loop.
- Joule-Thomson expansion.
- Application: calculation of cryogenic loop used for NGL extraction.
- Examples of gas field development schemes:
- Gas fields development options: onshore or offshore processing, single-phase or multiphase export pipelines, “Wet” or “Dry” development.
- Other treatments: mercury removal, conversion or adsorption of mercaptans (RSH), etc.
Transport of natural gas in liquid phase - LNG option 1 day
- Liquefaction processes: principle, typical operating conditions, technology.
- LNG tanks: Single or Double or Full Containment (self-standing, membrane). Hazards.
- LNG transport: LNG carriers (MOSS spheres, Membrane, …), export and receiving terminals.
- LNG regasification at the receiving terminals, options for refrigeration duty recovery.
Transport & storage of natural gas in gas phase 0.5 day
- Gas pipes: technology, capacities, equipment, recompression units, operating conditions, etc.
- Underground storage (old reservoirs, aquifers, salt domes, etc.). Required treatments at outlet.
Natural gas economics 0.5 day
- Resources, production and markets.
- Natural gas marketing: competition of other energy sources and consequences on gas contracts (prices and duration), cost of transport and its impact on the structure of the gas chain.
- Future of the natural gas.