2 days PROD/STOCKGB
- Professionals interested in natural gas storage.
- This course provides an overview of the technical issues of various natural gas storage facilities.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- review features and operating conditions of natural gas storage facilities,
- learn about gas storage equipment specificities: wells, manifolds, compression, auxiliary equipment, etc.,
- understand gas treatment techniques applied to extraction from storage in order to conform to specifications,
- grasp fundamental issues of natural gas storage economics and third-party access.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry-specialist lecturers.
- Numerous applications and illustrations.
Natural gas: as a storable energy 0.25 day
- Why store natural gas? Needs expressed by suppliers, administration and network operators.
- How? Summary presentation of the different storage systems: depleted reservoirs, aquifers, salt domes.
- LNG storage tanks, etc.
- Where? History of underground gas storage, storage sites in Europe and worldwide. Maps and tables by types of storage, per country and stored volumes.
- Gas storage and its environment: noise, exhaust, surface footprints, landscape integration, local taxes, workforce.
Storage types 0.5 day
- Fluid flow in porous media. Reservoir modeling.
- Depleted reservoirs, aquifers, salt domes, LNG storage tanks.
- For each type of storage, presentation of development conditions, geological and structural characteristics, their specificities, the inherent hazards, the operational constraints, the repartition of sites throughout the world, etc.
Storage equipment 0.25 day
- Wells: drilling specificities, downhole and surface equipment.
- Gathering network.
- Gas compression: why, when and how?
- Extracted gas treatment: dehydration, sweetening, odorization.
- Auxiliary equipment: manifolds, instrumentation and control system, safety, treatment of effluents.
- Metering: primary meter, correctors, data processing.
Compression 0.25 day
- Characteristics of compressors specific to natural gas storage sites: compression ratio, runtime frequency, environment related issues (exhaust gases, noise, etc.), power types.
- Types of compressor units: driver type (engine, electrical motor, gas turbine, etc.), reciprocating or centrifugal compressor, etc.
- Comparison between gas turbine and motor drivers, fuel gas and electricity power.
Gas treatment 0.25 day
- At the wellhead: hydrate prevention by heating or methanol injection.
- In the station: dehydration, sweetening, odorization.
- For each treatment, presentation of the treatment target, risks, regulation aspects, treatment techniques, common processes used for gas treatment and product regeneration, effluent treatment.
Economical aspect of gas storage 0.5 day
- Life cycle of a gas storage site.
- Estimated values for CAPEX and OPEX for each storage type.
- Pricing of access of third parties to storage facilities in France: analysis of the price breakdown, taking into account constraints and specificities of the storage.
- Simulation of cost price per kWh, stored or delivered, for common site configurations.