5 days MTM/RUPT-E
- Maintenance supervisors, engineers and all technical staff involved in rotating machinery maintenance and inspection.
- To enhance the competency of maintenance staff through an understanding of failure analysis.
- To prevent mechanical breakdown and thus reduce operating costs.
- To apply a method for estimating the type and the origin of failure.
- To suggest modifications to improve machinery reliability.
Ways and means
- Case studies based on industrial feedback.
Failure analysis 3 days
- Description of rupture phenomena
- Study of ruptures: interest of material characteristics, influences of metallurgy and surface treatment, design parameters to be observed, consequences due to the modification of material behavior.
- Characteristics of the main kind of ruptures: tensile and compressive stress with necking appearance, influence of the resilience and the transition temperature with regards to the service temperature, mechanical fatigue.
- Rupture face analysis: mechanisms of rupture, surface morphology.
- Solutions to avoid rupture: design parameters, limiting stresses, operating conditions.
- Description of wear phenomena
- Study of wear: friction principle with friction factor and wear rate, tribology.
- Characteristics of the main kind of wear: adhesive wear depending on the lubrication mode, abrasive wear through particle presence, erosive wear due to flow, mechanical surface fatigue on gears and bearings.
- Morphology of a worn surface: temperature colors, scratching, scoring, seizure.
- Solutions to avoid wear: design parameters, limiting friction, operating conditions.
- Case studies: rupture and wear examinations of typical machine parts (bearings, mechanical seals, rotors), analysis of some complex failures concerning process centrifugal pumps, reciprocating compressors, centrifugal compressors and gear reducer.
Repair and renovation work 2 days
- Repair philosophy: integrating all the criteria to choose the best solution: repair or replacement.
- Different modes of repair: welding, surface treatment, metal striching, deposits (HVOF application).
- Costs: repair costs, delivery time, on site capabilities.
- Case studies: description of different approaches used to repair some machines and components.