5 days MTM/RUPT-E
- Maintenance supervisors, engineers and technical staff involved in rotating machinery maintenance and technical inspection.
- This course enhances the maintenance staff skills through a clear understanding of machinery failure analysis.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- prevent mechanical failures and reduce operating costs,
- apply a methodology to identify the type and the failure root cause,
- propose improvements on machinery reliability.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Case studies based on industrial & actual feedback.
FAILURE ANALYSIS 3 days
- Rupture phenomena:
- Ruptures study: material characteristics, influences of metallurgy and surface treatment, design parameters, consequences due to the modification of material behavior.
- Characteristics of the main kind of ruptures: tensile and compressive stress with necking appearance, influence of the resilience and the transition temperature with regards to the service temperature, mechanical fatigue.
- Rupture face analysis: mechanisms of rupture, surface morphology.
- Solutions to avoid rupture: design parameters, limiting stresses, operating conditions & limitations.
- Wear phenomena:
- Wear study: friction principle with friction factor and wear rate, tribology.
- Characteristics of the main kind of wear: adhesive wear depending on the lubrication mode, abrasive wear through particle presence, erosive wear due to flow, mechanical surface fatigue on gears and bearings.
- Morphology of a worn surface: temperature colors, scratching, scoring, seizure.
- Solutions to avoid wear: design parameters, limiting friction, operating conditions.
- Case studies: rupture and wear examinations of machinery parts (bearings, mechanical seals, rotors), analysis of some failures on process centrifugal pumps, reciprocating & centrifugal compressors and gearbox.
REPAIR & RENOVATION WORK 2 days
- Repair philosophy: integrating all the criteria to choose the best solution: repair or replacement.
- Different modes of repair: welding, surface treatment, metal striching, deposits (HVOF application).
- Costs: repair costs, delivery time, on site capabilities.
- Case studies: description of different approaches used to repair some machines and components.