5 days LUB/LUBLUB-E
- Engineers and technical staff working in the development, manufacturing, technical assistance and sales of lubricants, in engineering offices of automotive and mechanical industry, in maintenances services, desiring to acquiring a basic knowledge on the principles of lubrication and on lubricants.
- To describe the basic mechanical organs, their integration in the various automotive and industrial equipment and their principles of functioning.
- To give the purpose of the lubricants, their functional properties and their impact on the functioning of the machines.
- To perform a brief overview of the classifications and specifications of automotive and industrial lubricants.
- To give the friction laws and describe the different regimes of lubrication.
- To perform a review of the different forms of wear, their origins and the ways to avoid or reduce them.
- To give information on the chemical composition of lubricants (base stocks and additives), on the physicochemical and mechanical testing methods.
- To explain the principles of the formulation of lubricants.
- To give elements of the toxicity and environmental aspects - ecological label.
- To know the different basic organs of the mechanic and the principles of their lubrication.
- To understand the importance of lubricants standardization (classifications and specifications).
- To understand the whole mechanisms involved in the lubrication of automotive and industrial equipment: friction, lubrication, forms of wear.
- To know the chemical composition of lubricants (base oils and additives).
- To understand the mode of action of lubricants and the relationship between the chemical composition and the required functional properties for the various applications.
- To know the different methods for evaluating the physicochemical and mechanical properties.
Ways and means
- Interactive exercises of questions-answers between the participants using sets of play cards to synthetize the essential points of the lectures.
Lubricated materials and mechanisms 0.5 day
- General description of the main mechanical organs (journal and antifriction bearings, gears) and their integration in the various industrial and automotive equipment.
- Functional properties of lubricants.
Classifications and specifications of lubricants 0.5 day
- Lubricants rheology: the different types of flow behavior (Newtonian, non Newtonian, Bingham fluid, Maxwell fluid, thixotropic), variation of viscosity with temperature, pressure, deformation, measuring methods of the rheological properties, viscosity classifications of automotive and industrial lubricants.
- Classifications and specifications of industrial lubricants: ISO classifications 6743-99 and ISO 6743-xx, specifications.
- Service specifications of engine lubricants: API, ACEA, ILSAC.
Elements of tribology 0.75 day
- Friction laws.
- Study of the different lubricating regimes (hydrodynamic, hydrostatic, elastohydrodynamic, boundary, mixed, squeeze film) and their mechanism of generation. Stribeck curve. Sommerfeld number.
- Study of the different forms of wear, their mechanism, the way to fight against them (abrasive, corrosive, fatigue, contact corrosion, cavitation wear).
- Relationship between wear and tribology parameters.
Composition of lubricants 1.75 days
- Mineral base oils: ATIEL groups, requested properties following the type of lubricant, chemical composition, succinct review of the different refining operations, composition evaluation methods.
- Synthetic base oils: ATIEL groups, the different types of synthetic base stocks, synthesis of the products, application areas and comparative properties with the mineral base stocks.
- Vegetal oils: modes of obtaining, properties, modifications, uses.
- Lubricants additives: chemical structure, properties and modes of action (detergents, dispersing agents, antioxidants, rust and corrosion inhibitors, viscosity modifiers, pour point depressants, extreme pressure and anti-wear additives, anti-foaming agents).
- Solid lubricants: the different types, characteristics and properties, main uses.
Evaluation of the properties 0.75 day
- Physico-chemical testing methods: thermal and oxidation stability, thermal properties (flash points, ash, carbon residues), rust and corrosion protection, surface properties (foaming, air release, water shedding, particulate contamination evaluation and filterability, compatibility with elastomeric materials.
- Mechanical testing methods: notions on engine testing, tests on mechanical organs (bearing tests, gear tests, hydraulic pump tests), simulation machines testing and laboratory tribometers (4-balls, FALEX, TIMKEN, CAMERON PLINT, SRV, …).
- Analytical methods of the composition: elemental and spectrometric analysis.
Principle of formulation of lubricants and examples 0.5 day
- Formulation of industrial lubricants.
- Formulation of engine lubricants.
Hygiene - Toxicity - Environment 0.25 day
- Elements on toxicity, hygiene, labeling.
- Ecological label of lubricants.