10 days RES/AVOINV
- Senior geoscientists.
- This course provides participants with the techniques and workflow to detect and quantify lithologies, porosities and fluid content using seismic amplitudes and well information.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- perform a feasibility study and choose the most appropriate workflow,
- run and supervise a seismic characterization study and generate meaningful volumes,
- prepare properly data for the study.
- Basic knowledge of geological and geophysical interpretation makes this course more enjoyable.
Ways and means
- Interactive presentations, exercises, document analysis.
- Workshop on case studies using dedicated modeling and inversion softwares.
Week 1: Rock physics, Well calibration, Wavelets & AVO
Introduction & objectives 2 days
- Introduction: AVO and inversion workflows and objectives.
- Wave propagation theory and concepts.
- Rock physics and petro-elastic modeling.
- Well data conditioning for seismic characterization.
- Seismic data pre-requisites: preconditioning.
Well-to-seismic calibration 1 day
- Objectives and workflows.
- Preparing well data for inversion.
- Signal and noise estimation.
- Wavelet extraction from seismic and log data.
AVO interpretation 2 days
- AVO attributes and AVO behavior.
- AVO benefits and limitations.
- From AVO to pre-stack seismic inversion.
Week 2: Seismic inversion & interpretation
Seismic inversion (post-stack) 3.5 days
- Inversion workflows: description of inversion algorithms, parameters and benefits.
- Model-based inversion: definition and objective.
- Role of initial or low frequency model.
- Inversion exercises.
- Inversion parameter sensitivity testing.
- Deliverables of seismic inversion: QC.
- Examples: clastics and carbonates.
Reservoir characterization 1.5 days
- Interpretation of inversion.
- Refining seismic interpretation: noise, signal, phase and resolution issues.
- Qualitative seismic facies analysis: supervised vs. non-supervised analysis.
- Quantitative reservoir property prediction: lithologies and fluids.
- Uncertainty analysis.
- Extended inversion workflows for fractured reservoir characterization.
- Other characterization processes: 4D inversion, stochastic inversion, multicomponent inversion.