3 days RPC/ITR-E
- Non-technical professionals in the Oil & Gas industry or related sectors interested in the oil refining business.
- This course provides a basic technical information on refining processes.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- learn about the main refining processes and their operating characteristics,
- understand the manufacturing scheme of petroleum products,
- understand the main constraints and trends in the refining industry.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Active participation of trainees through interactive games.
CRUDE OILS & PETROLEUM PRODUCTS 0.5 day
- Crude oils: supply, properties, classification, yields and properties of petroleum cuts.
- Main characteristics of commercial products, relation to product uses.
- Trends in market structure and product characteristics. Biofuels.
INITIAL CRUDE OIL FRACTIONATION 0.75 day
- Operation principle, unit flow diagram, operating conditions, energy consumption:
- Crude oil atmospheric distillation, desalting.
- Light-ends fractionation.
- Atmospheric residue vacuum distillation.
CATALYTIC REFORMING - ISOMERIZATION 0.25 day
- Process fundamentals, operating conditions, catalysts.
- Industrial units, process flow diagrams, equipment, yields, energy consumption, hydrogen production.
HYDROREFINING PROCESSES - SULFUR PLANT 0.5 day
- Main features of impurities removal by catalytic hydrogen treatment: example of gas oil desulfurization unit.
- Amine washing, sulfur plant (Claus unit), treatment of tail gas from Claus units.
CONVERSION UNITS 0.5 day
- Characteristics of feeds to be cracked.
- Overview of conversion processes by cracking of heavy feeds.
- Conversion by means of thermal cracking: resid visbreaker, impact on heavy fuel oil production. Delayed coker.
- Conversion by means of fluid catalytic cracking: FCC (process flow diagram, operating conditions, products disposal) and ancillary units: gasoline sweetening, alkylation, MTBE-ETBE.
- Conversion by hydrocracking: process flow diagram, operating conditions, yields, product quality, hydrogen consumption. Adjustments to heavy feedstocks.
MANUFACTURING SCHEMES OF MAIN PRODUCTS 0.25 day
- Integration of the units into the manufacturing scheme.
- Simple and complex refineries, trends.
- Manufacturing of main products.
BASE OIL MANUFACTURING 0.25 day
- Base oil properties.
- Purpose of the different refining treatments.