3 days RPC/ITR-E
- Non-technical professionals in the oil and gas industry or related sectors interested in the oil refining business.
- To provide basic technical information on refining processes.
- To learn about the main refining processes and their operating characteristics.
- To understand the manufacturing scheme of petroleum products.
- To understand the main constraints and trends in the refining industry.
Ways and means
- Active participation of trainees through interactive games.
Crude oils and petroleum products 0.5 day
- Crude oils: supply, properties, classification, yields and properties of petroleum cuts.
- Main characteristics of commercial products, relation to product uses.
- Trends in market structure and product characteristics. Biofuels.
Initial crude oil fractionation 0.75 day
- Operation principle, unit flow diagram, operating conditions, energy consumption
- Crude oil atmospheric distillation, desalting.
- Light-ends fractionation.
- Atmospheric residue vacuum distillation.
Catalytic reforming - Isomerization 0.25 day
- Process fundamentals, operating conditions, catalysts.
- Industrial units, process flow diagrams, equipment, yields, energy consumption, hydrogen production.
Hydrorefining processes - Sulfur plant 0.5 day
- Main features of impurities removal by catalytic hydrogen treatment: example of gas oil desulfurization unit.
- Amine washing, sulfur plant (Claus unit), treatment of tail gas from Claus units.
Conversion units 0.5 day
- Characteristics of feeds to be cracked.
- Overview of conversion processes by cracking of heavy feeds.
- Conversion by means of thermal cracking: resid visbreaker, impact on heavy fuel oil production. Delayed coker.
- Conversion by means of fluid catalytic cracking: FCC (process flow diagram, operating conditions, products disposal) and ancillary units: gasoline sweetening, alkylation, MTBE-ETBE.
- Conversion by hydrocracking: process flow diagram, operating conditions, yields, product quality, hydrogen consumption. Adjustments to heavy feedstocks.
Manufacturing schemes of main products 0.25 day
- Integration of the units into the manufacturing scheme.
- Simple and complex refineries, trends.
- Manufacturing of main products.
Base oil manufacturing 0.25 day
- Base oil properties.
- Purpose of the different refining treatments.