3 days MOT/INTMOT-E
- Any person wishing technical information about automotive engines’ operation, SI or Diesel.
- This course provides a demystification of the operation of reciprocating conventional and future automotive engines as well as the related terminology.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- identify the main engine components and situate them in the engine,
- describe the operating mode of these components,
- understand spark ignition and Diesel combustion and describe their differences,
- have a view of the expected technological evolutions required by the future regulations.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Real engine dismantling.
- Real components study.
- Interactive talks.
Engines operating & basic parameters 0.75 day
- Piston engines operating and classification: 4-stroke and 2-stroke cycles, gasoline/Diesel, indirect/direct injection, naturally aspirated (NA)/supercharged (SC), architectures.
- Geometric characteristics: conrod-crank system, bore, stroke, cubic inch displacement, compression volumetric ratio, timing diagram.
- Operating parameters: load, use curve, torque, power, fuel/air ratio, volumetric efficiency, efficiencies, specific fuel consumption (BSFC).
Atmosphere pollution & regulations 0.25 day
- Atmospherical phenomena: locally (smog) or globally (greenhouse effect).
- Regulations for passengers cars.
Description & functions of engine components 1 day
- Role of the engine in powertrain.
- Main components technologies: piston, conrod, crankshaft, flywheel; cylinder block, cylinder head; camshaft drive, valve control, variable timing and their situation in the engine.
- Injection systems: gasoline and Diesel. Ignition system.
- Naturally aspirated (NA) engine intake circuits, turbocharging, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), cooling, lubrication, crankcase ventilation.
- Engine monitoring: torque structure, logic controller, sensors and actuators.
- Components displays, …
Engine operation & base parameters 1.5 days
- Reactants and combustion products, combustion equation, flammability limits, auto-ignition delay, combustion speed. Combustion in:
- Indirect injection spark ignition engines (stoichiometric homogeneous mixture).
- Direct injection spark ignition engines, in a homogeneous or stratified (heterogeneous) mixture.
- Direct injection Diesel engines (heterogeneous mixture).
- Pollutants formation. Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR).
- How to transform chemical energy in mechanical energy, thermodynamical work, 4stroke and 2 stroke cycles.
- Evolution of SI engines and Diesel engines, downspeeding, downsizing, …
Fuels for engines 0.25 day
- Hydrocarbons properties and structures: composition, H/C ratio, self-ignition, net calorific value (NCV).
- Oils characteristics (octane rating, volatility) and Diesel fuels (cetane rating, cold engine operability, sulfur content, lubricating capacity). Biofuels.
Exhaust gas after-treatment 0.25 day
- Automotive exhaust catalysis: oxidation catalysis and tri-functional catalysis.
- Efficiency, initiation temperature, ageing.
- Nitrogen oxide processing (NOx traps, selective reduction catalysts SCR).
- Diesel particle filtration and filter regeneration with fuel additive or catalytic filter.
- On Board Diagnostics (OBD).
Air pollution & regulations origins 0.25 day
- Atmospheric phenomena at stake: local (smog) or global ones (greenhouse effect).
- Regulations implemented to cars.