5 days MAT/INST1GB
- Engineers and technicians involved in designing, constructing, commissioning or operating Oil & Gas surface production facilities.
- This course provides a comprehensive knowledge of process control and safety systems.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand control loops and safety loops, as well as ICSS and associated equipment technologies,
- comprehend technology and operating principles of instruments most commonly used in the Oil & Gas industry,
- understand impact of PID controllers parameters on process control,
- grasp main process control structures encountered in Oil & Gas surface processing,
- draw the outline of a typical DCS architecture,
- learn the functions of safety instrumented systems.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry specialist lecturer.
- Numerous applications and illustrations.
- Process control practice on dynamic simulator.
PROCESS CONTROL OVERVIEW 0.5 day
- Controlling and controlled system.
- Controlled variable, manipulated variable, disturbance variable, actuators, set point, …
- Control topology.
- Functional analysis, functional locks, symbolization.
- Pneumatic, electric and digital control loops.
- Pneumatic and electric power supply, signal transmission, … and conversion.
MEASURING ELEMENT - SENSORS 0.5 day
- Operating parameters measurement. Measurement errors.
- Temperature, pressure, flow-rate, level measurement.
- Operating principle, technology, measurement unit, local reading/transmission.
- Safety instruments: limit switches, position sensors, temperature, pressure, flow-rate level detectors, …
SIGNAL TRANSMISSION - TRANSMITTERS 0.5 day
- Pneumatic transmitters: transformation of force into a pneumatic signal and amplification, technology and transmitter tuning.
- Operation of the sensor-transmitter combination.
- Electric and electronic transmitters: operating principle.
- Digital and programmable transmitters.
ACTUATORS - CONTROL VALVES 0.5 day
- Linear displacement valves: technology, different plug types, characteristic curves, safety position: AO, AC, FC, FO, …
- Positioners: operating principle, types (pneumatic, electro pneumatic, …).
- Other types of control valves: simple and double seat valves, cage valves, “Camflex” type valves, three-way valves.
- Contactors: position sensors, electro-valves.
- ON/OFF valves: types, simple and double actuators.
CONTROLLERS - CONTROL STRUCTURES 0.5 day
- Controllers: Role, operating principle, direct or inverted action, operating modes.
- Behavior of PID type controllers: operating point, gain, interactions.
- Control loops: simple, cascade, and split-range.
- Ratio control, elaborated variable control, feed-forward control systems.
DISTRIBUTED CONTROL SYSTEM 0.5 day
- Plant control philosophy, workstation, glossary.
- Functional organization, equipment architecture.
- Data allocation, communication network.
- Interfaces (sensors - actuators - network - PLC - others).
- Plant control: hardware, software, types and organization of views.
- Alarms, historian.
PID CONTROLLERS 1 day
- PID tuning: process and control loop response.
- Robustness, rapidity, accuracy.
- Regulation (fixed set point) and closed-loop control (variable set point).
- Proportional, integral, derivative controller characteristic.
- Applications on dynamic simulator.
SAFETY INSTRUMENTED SYSTEMS (SIS) 1 day
- Safety loop.
- Safety function, Safety Integrity Level.
- High Integrity Protection Systems (HIPS), Emergency ShutDown (ESD), Fire and gas (F&G), Emergency Depressurization (EDP).