5 days MAT/INSTMAINTGB
- Engineers and technicians involved in hook-up and control of instrumented systems enforced in the Oil & Gas industry.
- This course provides a comprehensive knowledge for the control and maintenance of instrumented systems enforced in production facilities.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the importance of measurements quality, calibration methods and associated preventive actions,
- optimize process control loop – PID controllers,
- know the typical architecture of a DCS‑I/O interfaces, communication protocols,
- describe process safety systems and fire and gas detection systems,
- master instrument calibration procedures, process control and safety loops synchronization.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Ways and means
- Highly interactive training by industry specialist lecturers.
- Process control practice on dynamic simulator.
- Numerous applications and illustrations on calibration, process control and safety instrumented systems.
PROCESS INSTRUMENTATION 1.25 days
- Field instrumentation refresher: 4-20 mA standard and HART instruments, digital instruments.
- Instruments scales and calibration methods.
- Introduction to control valves calculation.
- Calibrated orifice calculation according to ISO 5167 standard, approach for measurement error calculation.
- Flowrate calculation corrected for pressure and temperature.
- Instrument cables and junction boxes definition.
- Introduction to on-site industrial analyzers.
PROCESS CONTROL 1.25 days
- Oil & gas surface processes identification.
- PID controllers study: series, parallel and mix structures. Impact of controller parameters on process control. Controllers tuning.
- Study and adjustment of control loops: simple closed loop, cascade, split-range, ratio.
- Applications on dynamic simulator: case of a well/separator process section.
AUTOMATION OF PRODUCTION PROCESSES 0.5 day
- Distributed Control System (DCS) architecture
- Equipment architecture: controller, input/output cards, software architecture.
- Man - machine interface: views management (mimics, alarms, historian, trends), plant control strategy (overview, tree structure) and functionalities of the various types of views.
- Alarm management: alarm types, hierarchy, processing.
- DCS simulator: man - machine interface analysis. Case study.
- DCS and PLC implementation projects
- Approach to quantification and allocation of system input/output.
- Notion of system life cycle and integrity (IEC 61508)/implementation of SIL.
- Study of a DCS or PLC implementation project: engineering documents (functional analysis).
- Project phases: Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and commissioning.
SAFETY INSTRUMENTED SYSTEM 1 day
- Refresher on Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS): PSS, ESD, HIPPS, EDP.
- Impact on HAZID and HAZOP studies on design.
- Definition and implementation of Safety Integrated Levels (SIL) on instruments loops: Oil & Gas companies approach to IEC 61508 and 61511 standards. Application exercises.
- Applications on dynamic simulator: implementation of PSS and ESD systems - Case of a (well - separator) process section.
MAINTENANCE & CALIBRATION STANDARDS 1 day
- Calibration standards.
- Main procedures. Synchronization application and calibrations (measures, control loop and control valves, ON/OFF valves, fire and gas sensors).