60 days SEC/SECUIND-E
- Engineers recently assigned to the HSE department in the following industries:
- Oil & Gas (upstream and downstream)
- Petrochemical and chemical
- Transport, storage and distribution of crude oil, petroleum products, and natural gas.
- Experienced personnel intended to advance their profession in HSE.
- This course provides a deeper knowledge on how to master all aspects of the industrial safety engineer position.
- Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- master technical knowledge, rules and regulations,
- apply a practical and behavioral know-how,
- implement tools and techniques required for an integrated management of safety.
- Engineering degree or equivalent experience within the Oil & Gas industry.
Ways and means
- Practical tutorials on industrial equipment.
- Site visit and studies.
- Real-life firefighting exercises.
- Lecturing by industry experts.
- Real incidents and accidents case studies.
WELCOME - PRESENTATION - MID TERM & FINAL ASSESSMENT 1 day
RISKS RELATED TO FLUIDS BEHAVIORS 2 days
- Gas compression and expansion. Liquid-vapor equilibrium. Energies at stake.
- Pressure in a vessel and consequences of heat addition or withdrawal: thermal expansion, vaporization, vacuum, freezing due to gas expansion...
- Risk assessment and operating precautions.
RISKS & PRECAUTIONS RELATED TO EQUIPMENT 6 days
- Piping - Thermal equipment - Storage equipment – Pressure vessels.
- Transport - Loading / offloading units: tank trucks, tank rail cars, cargo ships.
- Rotating machinery: pumps, compressors, steam turbines, gas turbines…
- Instrumentation and process control.
FLAMMABILITY PREVENTION - PRECAUTIONS - FIREFIGHTING 18 days
- Combustion phenomenon: combustion of gaseous, liquid and solid mixtures. Combustion effects. BLEVE phenomenon, boil over, back draft and flash over.
- Precautions and prevention against risks of fire and explosion: control or suppression of flammable mixtures and ignition sources. ATEX zones classification.
- Materials’ behavior with fire. Gas detectors, fire detectors (smoke, flame, heat…).
- Protection and firefighting: extinguishants (water, powder, foam, inhibiting gases), mobile and fixed firefighting equipment.
- Firefighting strategies: basic rules, means and methods of intervention, emergency plans.
- Practical exercises on real fires.
ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION 3 days
- Importance of environment protection for human being, for company.
- Air, water and soil protection. Origin, nature, treatment and reduction of pollutions.
- Waste management: sorting and elimination routes.
- Awareness - Sustainable development.
INDUSTRIAL HYGENE - HEALTH AT WORK 3 days
- Professional risks: chemical risks, physical risks, toxicological risks.
- Collective and personal protection equipment.
- Risk management: work station assessment, material safety data sheet, medical check-up...
- Occupational medicine - Prevention.
SAFETY DURING COMMISSIONING & DECOMMISSIONING ACTIVITIES - SAFETY IN MAINTENANCE & CONSTRUCTION WORKS - SAFETY IN LABORATORY 11 days
- Safety during commissioning and decommissioning operations: risks and precautions related to auxiliary fluids (nitrogen, water, air, steam…). Draining and venting of equipment.
- Process, mechanical, electrical lock out. Neutralizing, washing, degassing, inerting of facilities. Gas tests. Vessels/ confined space entry. Re-commissioning.
- Safety in maintenance and construction works: specific risks and corresponding precautions. Permit to Work. Integration of safety in preparation, implementation and work surveillance.
RISK MANAGEMENT 16 days
- Global approach to prevention: human means, technical means, human factors.
- Health, safety and environment management system (HSE-MS): Structure, implementation and administration of a HSE management system.
- Risk assessment: risk assessment methods (HAZID, HAZOP, What-If…), preventions means, crisis and intervention management.
- Financial shields to deal with accidents - Insurances. HSE approach in projects.
- Safety engineer job: mission (research, operational, functional, liaison…), responsibilities, and required skills.