60 days MOT/INGMOT-E
- This training is mainly dedicated to automotive companies who want to train a group of engineers.
- Engineers from automotive industry, not directly involved in IC engine field and wishing to become engine specialists.
- This course provides a high level, modern training in the engine field (gasoline and Diesel).
- Because of the duration, the training can be recognized by a ENSPM diploma of Internal Combustion Engines Specialized Master, awarded by IFP School, provided satisfying results are obtained at the tests and a good assessment is given on the work done in the framework of a professional thesis development.
- Upon completion of the training, participants will have acquired the requested knowledge and skills to be engine engineer.
- Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- know every field of IC thermal engine,
- act as an experienced engineer as well as a project leader.
- No prerequisites for this course.
Introduction to engine study & tests 3 days
- Operating cycles of reciprocating, theoretical and real engines. Combustion process. Combustion equation. Fuel/air ratio. Combustion energy aspects. Balances.
Thermodynamics applied to engines 2 days
- Going through real cycles, methods and practical.
Hydrocarbons & car fuels 3 days
- Introduction to refining. Gasoline fuels, Diesel fuels and biofuels: characteristics and adaptation.
- Composition/exhaust emissions relations.
Combustion - Exhaust emissions & after-treatment 7 days
- Atmospheric phenomena: smog and greenhouse effect, consequences and regulations.
- Combustion: pollutants origins, combustion process, combustion systems.
- Exhaust gas after-treatment.
Performances & measurements 3 days
- Practical on dyno bench and on simulator: parametric physic measures, engine performances characterization, exhaust gas analysis, interpretation of results.
Engine architecture & technologies 7 days
- Fixed parts: cylinder-block and cylinder head, cylinder head gasket; clamping techniques.
- Mobile coupling system: crankshaft, conrods, pistons, bushings; balance.
- Timing: lift, dynamics, drive, technologies; variable timing.
Materials & processes 4 days
- Metallurgy. Ferrous and non-ferrous metals foundry. Machining. Plastic materials. Prototyping process and methods.
- Visit of a foundry.
Engine thermics - Lubrication & lubricants 2 days
- Cooling: thermal balance and engine needs, restrictions and design of the cooling circuit, Diesel specificities.
- Lubrication and lubricants: tribology, roles, characteristics and classifications, how it affects after-treatment, lubrication circuit, blow-by gas.
Loading & components of the air circuit 6 days
- Loading: pressure losses, acoustic applied to loading intake and exhaust lines, supercharging.
- Supercharging: turbocharger operating, technology, adaptation to engine.
- Other components: throttle valve, EGR, interface with the engine control.
Diesel & gasoline injection systems - Ignition 5 days
- Basic principles. Diesel common-rail injection systems. GII, GDI and ignition. Fuel circuits. Common rail: specificities, HP pump, rail, injectors. Technological issues. Interface with the engine control.
Control & PTD (powertrain development) 9 days
- PT control: automatisms, gasoline and Diesel torque structure, gasoline and Diesel depollution, EGR and OBD. PT supervision and inter-systems. Development: gasoline and Diesel PTD, automatic transmission.
- On simulator: study and calibration of a control law.
Gearbox & transmissions 2 days
- Manual, robotized and automatic gearboxes: principles and technologies, clutch and damped flywheel clutch, differential, transmission cams and seals.
Adaptation of the PWT to the vehicle 2.5 days
- Vibro-acoustics: bases, PT characterization, lab methods, pressure pulsation noises and sound quality. PT installation in a vehicle.
Hybrid & electric PWT 1 day
- Serial and parallel architectures. On-board energy storages. Power electronics. Electric engines. Installation and thermal management.
Reliability 3 days
- Introduction to damage modes. Rules of analysis. Failure examinations.
Evaluations - Conclusions 0.5 day